• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Any tutorials on this Visual Effect?

Can't recommend any tutorials. But you shoot the character on a green screen, give them a frame, the same size as the TV to crawl through, and have it at the exact same placement the real tv in the scene would be at. Then shoot the scene with a green screen paper taped to the TV screen. You'll have to remember high your camera is and at what angle to the TV. You'll have to do your best to duplicate the camera setup. Best case situation would be to place your camera, film the tv area. Leave camera,alone in same spot. Remove TV, and put green screen with picture frame for actor to crawl though. That way all your setups match.

Key out your actor, and composite him into a background that matches what you're going for on the TV. Giving that footage a look, that is diffefernt from the room environment that the tv is in. Key out the picture area of the tv, and put your footage of him crawling out. As he crawls out of the TV, duplicate the footage, create a mask, so as each part of their body passes that TV plane, its color corrected to match the room environment, like he's entering the real world. Like if he's black and white on the TV, but becomes full color once past the plane, in the real world.

Does that make any sense? Would take a little planning, but I think could all be done in After Effects.

Last edited:
Thinking about this some more, the frame they crawl through doesn't really even have to be the same size as the TV screen. Just the same aspect ratio. Would even be a cooler effect this way. You size to footage down to fit into the TV area. So if your frame is 25% bigger, you footage is reduced in size 25% while its on the TV. As the actor passes that imaginary plane from TV world, into real world, you've already duplicated,the footage and masked it, so you could color correct, so why not also bring it back to full size, so you'd see a smaller head poking through on the TV side, but once in the real world, becomes life size.

i see what you're saying, but my character will remain small in this short film. when i post it to this site, you'll see your advice come to fruition.

(Though, I'm working on a bunch of shorts and a webseries, so not sure when that'll be)

You could also just have someone crawl through an actual TV, on set. Gut the TV, using only the shell. In the example clip, the shot is framed with the camera facing the TV head-on. That would allow you to do anything you want in the space directly behind the TV, which would of course be hidden from view of the camera. So, instead of trying to fit your actor into a TV, you could build a small green screen room, one which would connect to the back of the TV. The obvious complication is that the ground-level in the mini green-screen room would likely have to be lower than the ground-level for our "real-life" room, so you'd have to put some good time into set construction.

Spend more time in preproduction, or make things more complicated for yourself in post (and during production). Personally, I'd choose the former. To me, it seems simpler to just have them actually crawl out of a TV, on set.

Back