Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Showcase > Screening Room > Narrative

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2018, 11:55 PM   #16
j0shgreene
Basic Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlesemann View Post
For my second feature (DETOURS), we found many terrific indie bands and singer/songwriters who were delighted to let us use their music for free in exchange for a credit and thanks.

It took us some time to put together - it was a combination of reaching out to people we know and also watching videos on YouTube then contacting the musicians - but it really worked out well. Plus the musicians were very appreciative of the opportunity, which made it doubly successful.
Thanks for getting back.

I guess that's what I'll have to do with my next short. For now, it's time to start writing a feature.
j0shgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
 
Posts: 17

 
Old 06-10-2018, 01:19 AM   #17
Kaiborg
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0shgreene View Post

Personally, I find music copyright law flawed altogether anyway, but I have yet to come up with a better system, so I can't really argue
Lol, not if you're a musician. If you were, then you would understand that copyright laws make a lot of sense.
Kaiborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:27 AM   #18
j0shgreene
Basic Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiborg View Post
Lol, not if you're a musician. If you were, then you would understand that copyright laws make a lot of sense.
I understand their inherent purpose, I'm just saying, there's a better way they could be done, even to further benefit the musician.
j0shgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:30 AM   #19
Kaiborg
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0shgreene View Post
I understand their inherent purpose, I'm just saying, there's a better way they could be done, even to further benefit the musician.
How so? Please explain... I'm curious since you've already admitted that you can't think of a better way.

If you're not familiar with "Creative Commons" licensing, you should probably look into it.
Kaiborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #20
lewis886
Basic Member
 
lewis886's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mansfield, OH
Posts: 91
First off great job. I think the cinematography is very good, and the editing is great.
I do agree that the music was a bit distracting. For all of the scenes up until his skateboard ride I felt that the music detracted rather than helped. For me, one of the strongest moments was where the music dropped out and you had that beeping sound like a monitor in a hospital room or something. I would remove all of the music up until that skateboard ride and fill it with sounds from the world. Put in the sound of traffic, cars driving by, trucks off in the distance, horns honking far away, dogs barking in the distance, birds singing, etc. Because of the nature of the subject matter you could also play around with the audio quite a bit to enhance the feel, meaning, put some weird sounds in there that don't exactly fit, a plane flying too low, people talking who aren't nearby, whatever. Put weird reverbs on them, and have them fade from one into another. Since a lot of this would be all in his head, you can use it to your advantage. You did that with the editing and the cinematography to great effect, but I think you could do that with the sound to great effect too.
Overall great job. Very impressive.
lewis886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #21
j0shgreene
Basic Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis886 View Post
First off great job. I think the cinematography is very good, and the editing is great.
I do agree that the music was a bit distracting. For all of the scenes up until his skateboard ride I felt that the music detracted rather than helped. For me, one of the strongest moments was where the music dropped out and you had that beeping sound like a monitor in a hospital room or something. I would remove all of the music up until that skateboard ride and fill it with sounds from the world. Put in the sound of traffic, cars driving by, trucks off in the distance, horns honking far away, dogs barking in the distance, birds singing, etc. Because of the nature of the subject matter you could also play around with the audio quite a bit to enhance the feel, meaning, put some weird sounds in there that don't exactly fit, a plane flying too low, people talking who aren't nearby, whatever. Put weird reverbs on them, and have them fade from one into another. Since a lot of this would be all in his head, you can use it to your advantage. You did that with the editing and the cinematography to great effect, but I think you could do that with the sound to great effect too.
Overall great job. Very impressive.
Thank you.

I'm very pleased to hear that you picked up the hospital beeping and the bizarre work with sound design with all the weird sounds. This was a huge learning improvement for my sound design abilities. I agree I could potentially add more of a soundscape and remove the music.

However, each song does correlate to each particular scene, including and especially the lyrics. Now, you're probably thinking I must be asking a lot for a viewer to listen to the dialogue, watch the visuals, hear the music/sound design AND listen to lyrics all at the same time hoping to process it.

My fear is that there was too much to focus on and thus made the overall interpretation unclear. Perhaps though, it played into the surrealist/dream like effect of being left feeling positive about the film, but a little blurry/intrigued.

I hoped that this curiosity would encourage viewers to watch the film a 2nd or 3rd time. I've noticed that after 1-2 more times, peers that I've shown have come to like it more than the initial viewing. Again, I may be asking too much of a viewer to re-watch my film in order to gain a better appreciation or understanding. But there are movies that have been made (2001, Taxi Driver) that thrive upon additional viewings for most viewers. And those are feature lengths. I pretty much re-watch any short film I thought was pretty good. The medium is so short that you can make a dense work and hope for replays.

So I don't know how many times you watched mine (and this goes to anyone), maybe you've re-watched it already I don't know. Maybe i'm wrong for asking. But I think if you gave it another viewing, you could come to liking it more. Just because I think that's the reason it's falling short for some viewers.

Maybe Joy Division just rubs people the wrong way too. They’re not for everyone. Definitely not “soulful” or “cinematic” music at its core.

Again though, I'm very grateful for all of the feedback and I'm glad you were pleased with the film.
j0shgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #22
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder
 
indietalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0shgreene View Post
However, each song does correlate to each particular scene, including and especially the lyrics. Now, you're probably thinking I must be asking a lot for a viewer to listen to the dialogue, watch the visuals, hear the music/sound design AND listen to lyrics all at the same time hoping to process it.
I did notice this actually and thought it made it too literal and music video-like. Especially when the lyric Disorder hit. Since that's a Joy Division song, once again, it took me out of it, sorry. If I made a film called Jeremy and Pearl Jam played, that's the feeling I got... kinda cheesy in a way.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #23
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder
 
indietalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,099
I do like your style but you are your own artist and you don't need popular bands and lyric tie-ins, because you're already a good filmmaker. Tell your story.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
director, disorder, picture, usc


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


©IndieTalk