HV30 vs Hacked Panisonic GH1

Ok so at the moment i have a canon hv30. I love it alot but the fact that you cant change lenses or get a shallow DOF is starting to get to me. Also the fact that it doesn't have that "Pro Look" so i wont be taken seriously. Ive seen test footage of the hacked GH1 and it gets ammazing quality HD video. The only think i dont know about is that it is a DSLR and i hear(i have never used one) that they get annoying to film with because of jello effect and the way you have to hold them. I also like the Hv30 better because it is an actual camcorder made for video. I was thinking about selling my hv30 and getting the GH1 and hacking it but i am not sure what to do. I wish their was somthing cheap, with interchangeable lenses, And that professional look! Any suggestions on what you guys think i should do?

Sorry for a newb question but what lenses fit on the GH1?

What adapter does it use? Olympus? I searched for a bit but didn't find anything - and someone just suggested a Canon FD for it?

The GH1 has a Micro Four Thirds (MFT) mount - you can attach pretty much any lens with the right adapter.

thanks Chilipie - I pulled my question like an idiot and I googled it like I should have done.

But answer me this:

If you hack the GH-1 to do 2K or whatever, wouldn't you need like 12 different 64GB cards to record to? Seems like that much information would be HUGE.

thanks Chilipie - I pulled my question like an idiot and I googled it like I should have done.

But answer me this:

If you hack the GH-1 to do 2K or whatever, wouldn't you need like 12 different 64GB cards to record to? Seems like that much information would be HUGE.

The GH1, hacked, will only do 1080p, not 2k. I'm running 16GB cards in mine, and at maximum bitrate that'll do about 30 minutes. In reality, I tend to get more like 1-2 hours. I'm opting for 16GB after reading something (I think it was Phillip Bloom who said it, but I'm not 100% positive) about using smaller cards: this way, if you have a card that fails, you've only lost ~30 minutes of footage, rather than 2+ hours.

I haven't checked the bitrate on my footage yet (just hacked it Monday), but hope to do so within the next week.

But answer me this:

It doesn't really work like that. Resolution isn't the determining factor, it's bit rate. You can shoot at high resolutions but if it's highly compressed the resulting file size won't be so huge.

But answer me this:

No worries! I think Brian answered your question pretty well :)

So i have come to a conclusion. If i can sell my hv30 in the 400s I will buy the GH1 and hack
it. I feel in quality of the footage the hv30 doesn't even come close to the GH1. Plus if i got a DOF adapter on my hv30 that equals even more quality and light loss. As much as i hate to say it but.....im switching over to dslr =/.

So i have come to a conclusion. If i can sell my hv30 in the 400s I will buy the GH1 and hack
it. I feel in quality of the footage the hv30 doesn't even come close to the GH1. Plus if i got a DOF adapter on my hv30 that equals even more quality and light loss. As much as i hate to say it but.....im switching over to dslr =/.

You've got the choice figured out. If you can get in the mid $300's for an HV30, you're doing very well. Just saying, buddy. :cool:

Back