Canon GL1

The compression they use with sd cards to record video still doesn't match up to hd mini-dv tapes.

You get funny things happening to your picture in the size compression.

What does this have to do with this thread at all? The Canon GL1 is an SD camera. Getting back to the original point, the GL1 is a fine camera, and great to learn on if you have access to one. At this point, however, I probably wouldn't purchase one.

What does this have to do with this thread at all? The Canon GL1 is an SD camera. Getting back to the original point, the GL1 is a fine camera, and great to learn on if you have access to one. At this point, however, I probably wouldn't purchase one.

Thanks for the reply, would it be better to just get the GL2? Seeing as its only a few more bucks on ebay.

I'm not sure what your budget it, but at this point I wouldn't buy a standard definition camera. It's an outdated tech and it's really showing its age. It'd be fine for learning, but there are a lot of options in the same price range that will get you better image quality.

I'm not sure what your budget it, but at this point I wouldn't buy a standard definition camera. It's an outdated tech and it's really showing its age. It'd be fine for learning, but there are a lot of options in the same price range that will get you better image quality.

http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/.../HMX-H200BP/XSE/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

I already own this camera, but I just thought it would be much better to get a camera with an audio jack and full manual features.

http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/.../HMX-H200BP/XSE/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

I already own this camera, but I just thought it would be much better to get a camera with an audio jack and full manual features.

Sure, but the GL1 is 10 years old at this point. Even if you pick up a gently used GL1 there's no telling how long it will last before it needs to go in for repairs. As for audio in, what you really want is XLR, which the GL1 lacks. The GL1 was a great camera, and could still be useful for learning, but likely isn't worth paying however much they're going for these days.

Sure, but the GL1 is 10 years old at this point. Even if you pick up a gently used GL1 there's no telling how long it will last before it needs to go in for repairs. As for audio in, what you really want is XLR, which the GL1 lacks. The GL1 was a great camera, and could still be useful for learning, but likely isn't worth paying however much they're going for these days.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm really interested in the GL2... I'm just getting into filming and all and don't really see why I shouldn't buy a GL2 since its only three years old.

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but both the GL1 and GL2 came out in 2001.

I'm so sorry I didn't back up my sources your right the camera did come out in 2001! I think I might just take your advice and skip on the GL2 seeing as I don't want to waste 600+ on a dodgy camera.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I've decided to not get the GL1.

I just bought a canon gl-1 not long ago. I probably paid a little more for mine, but it was advertised to be in mint condition and it looks it too. I t has been good for fooling around with a higher end camera and learning to use the manual settings. It was a tough decision. Its easy to get scared away from an older camera, but I have been happy with my decision.

Back