Looking for a Good "Starter" Camera

Hey, I'm new to the forum so I would like to say 'hi' to everyone! Anyway, now to the question:

I'm getting started in Indie Filmmaking and am looking into buying a good "Starter" camera that will help me learn. I would like to have HD (720p is enough) but that is not required. Could some of you give me some tips on which brand is a better choice and where to get started. I'm looking for a camera aroun $250.00 to $300.00.

NOTE: I'm mostly going to be using the camera to make film shorts and stuff like that.

Thanks for everything! :)

I'm curious now. A friend of mine started playing around with his PURE Digital Flip Video Ultra Series F260b - making short movies and all. Would you advise that I get one - for the time being - just to start getting experience. (I had a bit of a hiccup and now won't be able to spend what I was planning on - because i have to use that for rent.)
Absolutly!

I'm quite impressed with that little Flip camera. If that's
all you can afford and you want to start making movies
then get what you can afford and start making movies.

Most people who wait and wait until they can afford top
of the line equipment wait for a very, very long time. You
don't get the same experience waiting until you can
afford good equipment as you do making movies with
cheap equipment.

You
don't get the same experience waiting until you can
afford good equipment as you do making movies with
cheap equipment.

Ding ding ding! The word of the day!

My wife has a Flip camera...it's nice to capture behind the scenes footage with. I haven't tried shooting anything...the quality isn't fantastic, but it's great for practice--quick, easy workflow.

im also looking for a start camera. im willing to spend in the 5 to 6 hundred dollar range. i shot on mini dv at a film camp over the summer. i understand that there are much more advantages to shooting digital and would prefer a camera in that class. any suggestions?

also, who here uses mac and imovie, iv been thinking of making the switch in my editing to final cut express, any thoughts there?

Back