Union Scale Rates

I need to knock up a budget proposal for the documentary that I'm working on getting funded. Since the restaurant chain that has asked for this is so large and international, I imagine that they would want to go with union workers. Since my experience in the industry does not cover union rates, my question is what they are for specific jobs. Here's the breakdown, I'm scheduling 24 shooting days including two weeks on the road. I will need proper audio, video capture, equipment rental, editing, color correction, post sound mix, basically everything. Those of you with first hand experience with union pay scale rates please weigh in with the averages that you have seen/get. Also, based on a feature length documentary (95 minutes +/-), how many days of video/audio post/color correction do you anticipate. And what are the going rates for delivering DVD/BluRay/Theatrical mixes of the final product? I realize that this will be a significant budget, but I would rather budget more than I need.

Most of what you need as far as crew is concerned can be found by contacting the IATSE - The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees.

Yes, it is for film and video production as well. Their full name is The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts of the United States, Its Territories and Canada.

"Since the restaurant chain that has asked for this is so large and international, I imagine that they would want to go with union workers."

Are their employees union members? If not why do you think they would want you to pay more for union workers for your project?

Is Louisiana a Right to Work state? If so you can negotiate with freelance technicians. You have the option of using union workers. Even in a Right to Work state the union workers may demand scale but you don't have to hire them.

"Since the restaurant chain that has asked for this is so large and international, I imagine that they would want to go with union workers."
Are their employees union members? If not why do you think they would want you to pay more for union workers for your project?

No, each restaurant is an independently owned franchise.
Appearances. I imagine that they would not want the A.F.L.C.I.O. calling for a boycott of their locations, it would be bad for business. Public perception, especially for this company, is a huge thing.

Is Louisiana a Right to Work state? If so you can negotiate with freelance technicians. You have the option of using union workers. Even in a Right to Work state the union workers may demand scale but you don't have to hire them.

Yes, LA is a right to work state. And an at will employment state as well.
I know that I can use whoever I want. I will use the best that I can afford within the confines of the contract between the production and the sponsor(s).

Back