Recorder for Rode NTG2

Hey guys.

I recently got my Rode NTG2, and I was looking at voice recorders to compliment it. On a fairly tight budget, have yet to find the xlr cable, boom pole and other accessories.

I was looking at a few recorders for under a 100 pounds, as I figured I needed it mainly for recording the input from the mic and controlling input levels. I've spoken to some friends who basically laughed at the idea of a voice recorder with a simple mini jack input slot.

Frankly, I don't know much about audio and sound, so little to the point where I only figured out what db and hz are. Horrible, but I wasn't unaware, just had no idea what the hell it meant :P

Irregardless, I was looking at a Tascam DR-05 to go with my Rode NTG2 but my friends are telling me the mini jack will compromise the audio quality greatly. I was wondering if it was only the fact that my voice recorder could only take in mini jacks that would compromise my audio quality. He told me I NEEDED a recorder with an xlr input which, frankly, is way out of my budget.

Could anyone help me understand/advise me on a course of action? Or the cheapest alternative to the DR-05 for a recorder with an XLR input? Frankly the features don't really matter all that much. I'm mostly interested in being able to change the input levels from the mic and not compromising sound quality.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

What you want and what you can get on your budget are two different things. You'll have to go menu diving to adjust levels; it is extremely difficult to do on the fly.

The problem with cheap recorders is the preamps will add noise, usually hiss, and 3.5mm (1/8") (minipin) jacks easily come unplugged.

You can use the DR-05 or -08, or the Zoom H1 or H2. What you will most definitely need is an Impedance Matching Transformer.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lmt-100&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

You will need decent headphones.

A shock-mount, a boom pole and wind protection are also highly recommended.

Last edited:
Back