Questions about carry-on packing for Overseas Doc Shoot

I am a one-man producer/videographer (will have sound support) traveling to tiny Asian island with no services or equipment for a 10 day doc shoot that is 50% interviews, 25% daytime outdoor location, architectural and 25% night outdoor location, architectural.

Am concerned about packing or shipping equipment and want to bring everything carry-on.

Am seeking advice with three questions:
1. Best way to move camera (micro dolly recommendations?)
2. Best way to stabilize camera (collapsable tripod/monopod recommendations) (clamps?)
3. Anything I might be missing on my list

Both items should fit carry-on.

Thank you for any advice/assistance that you can give.

Currently I have:
2 5dM2 bodies, batteries, cards, tape, clamps, zacuto viewfinder, redrock eyespy support rig (shoulder mounted)
24-105
macro 50mm 2.8
50 1.4
85 1.8
70-200 2.8
4x4" LED panel
Wireless lavs, ride shotgun, Zoom H4N

Adam B

batteries for the led panel, wireless and zoom.

grab an assortment of 1/4 20 bolts various lengths. Maybe some U bolt versions...Some nuts to match.. various sized washers to fit on the bolts.. This will give you some compact "hasty" camera mount options.

New EMPTY sand bags that you fill on location might be all the cam support you need.

Maybe a monopod.

One of those gorilla flexible mini tripod thingies..

A window mount and indigenous labor. Have some kids push your car real slow as you shoot a tracking shot.

Looks like a very comprehensively-planned shoot. Excellent.

Having lived in the South Pacific/Asian islands for several years myself and being involved in low-key video shoots there, I can advise you: KEEP SECURITY IN MIND. With that much equipment lying around in bags and people busily moving lights, running generators, and pushing dollies, it's the best opportunity in the world for a couple kids to grab your bags, cables, or stands and run with it. Unless you have someone watching. Might seem paranoid, but worth the trouble, if it comes.

please tell me its okinawa... i could use some more camera savy people out here...

basically... from what i have seen... you will probably have to pack it all in the checked baggage...
when i flew from oki to mainland... they didnt like the idea of me carrying two tripods a back pack full of gear and a beer... the beer they didnt care about... its japan... but the tripods were just to much...

so they will probably ask for you to put it into checked baggage... and you can (if you are worried about it) get insurance on your gear... while you fly... or do what i do... carry the important stuff in a 6million dollar home or a back pack by the same company... and then put your tripods in a checked baggage with any extra gear you might need... ie converters power strips... stuff that you think you might need but arent sure about...

now... if you are in the Philippians... eh... i dont know what to tell ya bro... you might end up loosing some gear... not being racist... not being anything other than honest... you might have to bribe some one to get your gear back... NO JOKE...

if its japan... if you drop money... even if its a 1 yen ... (about the same as a penny) some little old lady... or even some puck looking kid... might pick it up and chase you with it ... seen it happen a lot...

japan is super freaking nice... unless you are a hot chick with a short skirt on... then life is just disappointing here hahahahahaha

Funny (and helpful) post....

BTW. It's Saipan

hmmm... your going to guam then to saipen... that place seems smaller than okinawa

holy crap man... bring snorkling gear... that north west side of the island looks like it would be prime realistate for some spearfishing... holy crap

i want to go there just for the coral... WOW

take pics and post when you get back man

Back