• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Spontaneous Combustion?

Umm...I think I may have written a story outline tonight.

I was sitting in my favorite chair when an old story idea for a feature that I'd shelved a long time ago popped into my head. I got a vague idea of what I wanted to happen in the first act, but not much else. So, I got up, moved to the study, and started writing.

Three hours later, I have an outline, a theme, and pretty clear vision of how to approach the script.

I've had this kind of spontaneous vomit of a story with a short film, but nothing this lengthy. Anyone else have this happen before? I'm sure it has, and I'd like to hear about it.

We'll see where it goes from here. This year's resolution was to write every night. When I made it, I didn't think I'd be writing a story like this, but maybe it's what I need to do right now. Funny how inspiration works sometimes.

I did that with "Average Joe"... Our feature we shot 6-7 years ago. I was playing a gig at a coffee shop (not a word NL) and saw someone drop a spoon off the table accidentally, the whole scene popped into my head of the main character being so nervous on a blind date that he drops his coffee cup, and trips a thief while trying to pick it up.

Sorry, the rest might help: so The next day, I fleshed out the outline in an hour long brainstorming session with the eventual writer based on that one moment, how to get the characters there and where to go with them after that.

Congrats! Me, no, I've never had it all come at once, not for anything of great length (I've only written one).

I like that you have four acts. I've always known and appreciated the three-act structure. But in the only book I've read about screenwriting ("Save the Cat"), Snyder instructs to break the second act in half, and I really like his reasoning for that. That part of the book definitely clicked with me. I'm not sure how common of a method that is.

Brilliant to hear, Nick.

I work very much the same way. Ideas come and go, Characters and scenes cross, meet, and leave again to return months later. It's quite exciting.

Once upon a time i would try to steer my ideas within budget, so naturally, features would never arise. Not so long after i discovered it as a hindrance, an unnecessary intervention. I think alot of Writers aware or not, know this to be the point of pursuing or shelving.

Back