Copyright...for a commission!

Hello,
I have agreed to make a training video for a hospital and they would two different quotes for the job. One for a 'buyout' that gives them the full copyright and another for split copyright that would mean I would get a percentage if the film was sold on to other hospitals.

This is a new area for me as I have always filmed on a 'buyout' deal and looking for some advice on how to work out the percentage and if I should even bother as selling on is not a definite thing but they'd like it as an option? Any advice is much appreciated as I work as a freelancer and don't have lawyers etc to turn to.

Thanks all

You don't need a lawyer to decide on this, right?
You either:
- get the buy out and let them do what they want
- get the percentage deal and hope it will generate more over the years than the buyout

What you might want to know is:
- did they sell courses before or is it new to them?
- will they actively persuit selling the course or will they be waiting for the 'fried chicken to fly into their mouth'?

For the proper wording of either choice consulting a lawyer can be a good idea.

"Thank you for the offers. In order to proceed, I would like to know if any previous projects have sold to other hospitals and what exactly those deals were (with financial information if possible) so I can make an informed decision on what you have offered me. I await your response and look forward to working with you!"

A quick Google search says there are over 6200 "US hospitals" (not sure exactly what "hospital" means). You have an opportunity to get your name in front of 6200 POTENTIAL CLIENTS! Take the buy out (the guaranteed thing), make sure your name is prominently displayed, and sit back. In poker it's called "betting on the come". You're betting on jobs that might come down the pike at a later date. And if nobody calls you, you didn't lose a thing.

Back