• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Grand Prize Winner in Hollywood's Short Screenplay contest. Now what?

I only wrote two scripts, the winning short, which is not in Hollywood format and another one which IS in Hollywood format.

After I sent the short for reviews and to 10 contests, I started study deeply the Hollywood format before I started another
script, and that's because everyone was telling me that there is no future in Hollywood for a screenwriter if their scripts are
not in Hollywood format. Every single movie in Hollywood is in this format. Actually, I never found anyone saying that
someone could sell any script in Hollywood that doesn't follow the Hollywood format.

The fact that Hollywood itself gave me the grand prize is a bit "strange". Maybe, because there is no money in the prize,
they are more loose in their judging and they just look the story, and the story in that script is really nice and has a huge
surprise at the end.

Now, in the second script I have, and in all the next scripts I'll write, I'll follow the Hollywood format.

This just goes to show you that screenplay contests are just about worthless. Obviously no producers, agents or production companies are paying any attention to these contests. Let us know if anything comes of it.

BTW I listed my script on inktip and only one no-name company (that I've never heard of) viewed my synopsis and script. I can't help but wonder if the so-called company that downloaded my script was just a shill working for InkTip. Only 5 people viewed my logline. Conclusion: InkTip is a ghost town.

This is what I believe! The good thing maybe is that you can mention the price when you send it to someone to make it a movie. I send it to a director who got oscar for his short movie before some years and he accepted to make it a movie. We'll see.

I send it to a director who got oscar for his short movie before some years and he accepted to make it a movie.
That's great! So your script is going to be made by an Oscar
winning director! Do you think he would have looked at your
script if it hadn't won this award?

I only wrote two scripts, the winning short, which is not in Hollywood format and another one which IS in Hollywood format.

After I sent the short for reviews and to 10 contests, I started study deeply the Hollywood format before I started another
script, and that's because everyone was telling me that there is no future in Hollywood for a screenwriter if their scripts are
not in Hollywood format. Every single movie in Hollywood is in this format. Actually, I never found anyone saying that
someone could sell any script in Hollywood that doesn't follow the Hollywood format.

The fact that Hollywood itself gave me the grand prize is a bit "strange". Maybe, because there is no money in the prize,
they are more loose in their judging and they just look the story, and the story in that script is really nice and has a huge
surprise at the end.

Now, in the second script I have, and in all the next scripts I'll write, I'll follow the Hollywood format.

Hollywood itself ...

Did you win the prize from harvey weinstein?

That's great! So your script is going to be made by an Oscar
winning director! Do you think he would have looked at your
script if it hadn't won this award?

It's not sure yet if he will do it, I think no he wouldn't read a random script just because he asked for. I guess he has many people ask him for that.

So winning that contest opened a door. That's a good thing, isn't it?

I understand that you hoped winning would launch your career as a writer
instantly, but a career as a writer is a long road. The door is open a little,
YOU need to prove you can write "Hollywood" screenplays. A short is a nice
place to start. I hope you have several features written and ready to go.
Since you clearly have what it takes next should be entering a feature length
screenplay.

I'm glad it turns out that entering this contest opened a door to you.

Thank you :D Actually, I really don't care about career or however we could name it. Just writting a screenplay, get paid, winning my oscars :P and then write the next. Also, for sure I didn't hope this price for a short script to launch my career as a writer instantly LOL!

Just writting a screenplay, get paid, winning my oscars :P and then write the next.
Here in the States writing a screenplay, getting paid, winning an Oscar and
writing the next is called a career. What do you call writing screenplays and
getting paid for it in Greece?

No it's not called career anywhere the life I want to do. Write, send, get paid without meetings, interviews, writing on demand for any company, having any obligation to anyone but just writing in the morning and chase women in the evening is not a career!
We had a similar conversation to another thread which is locked now by the admin. You seem very stubborn and ironic. I don't know what issues you have, but we could agree that I'm psychopath and stop here.
If you keep being ironic to my posts and send me privet messages I have to ask help from the admin, I don't want this topic to be locked!

Last edited:
No it's not called career anywhere the life I want to do. Write, send, get paid without meetings, interviews, writing on demand for any company, having any obligation to anyone but just writing in the morning and chase women in the evening is not a career!
We had a similar conversation to another threat which is locked now by the admin. You seem very stubborn and ironic. I don't know what issues you have, but we could agree that I'm psychopath and stop here.
If you keep being ironic to my threats and send me privet messages I have to ask help from the admin, I don't want this topic to be locked!
I apologize. I am by nature a curious person. I am not being ironic, I
am interested in understanding my fellow writers.

I will never again comment on any of your threads or attempt to get
to know you as a fellow writer or a person.

e31.jpg

Back