Hiring police officers

I live in a big city and I'm expected to hire PO's at $70/hr with a 4 hour minimum, not including a lead officer. While I'm prepared to do so I'm a little nervous as they're some shootout scenes and the police department with be reviewing the script and determining how many officers I will be require to hire (yike$!).

Any advice? I talked to another smaller city's smaller department south who'll just require one officer @$40, no minimum.

Anyone here ever hire the cops- what can I expect?

I've had to hire cops for both of my features for certain scenes . My experiences have ranged from neutral to very positive - they've never caused problems for me but we've always gotten approval in advance for anything difficult or dangerous (in our case, a driving scene) that we need to do.

Anyone here ever hire the cops- what can I expect?
I have used cops and fire marshals on many shoots. I'm sure
not what you are asking. You can expect them to do the job
they are hired to do. But I don't think that's what you mean.

As you have found out different jurisdictions require different
personal and charge different rates. What advice are you looking
for? If you can't afford to use the officers required in one
jurisdiction then you may have to shoot in the other.

I haven't worked with the police ever on anything, so I was just curious about anyone else's experiences with the poe. It would be a shame if I have to wrestle one to the ground or slap one because of a prolonged disrespecting gaze at my lead actresses ample bosom or eating perhaps too many dozens. Should I worry about the donuts?

I haven't worked with the police ever on anything, so I was just curious about anyone else's experiences with the poe. It would be a shame if I have to wrestle one to the ground or slap one because of a prolonged disrespecting gaze at my lead actresses ample bosom or eating perhaps too many dozens. Should I worry about the donuts?

Did you just pull one over on us, cuz that was kind of funny.

Or is your original post still serious?

On a serious note for anyone looking to hire police officers for a shoot, your local film commission office can help you with everything you need to know. They are actually government offices. In New York we have a state and city film commission office. The city film commission office is part of the mayor's office an we get police assigned to a shoot from the city's film commission office through the mayor's office, which is connected to the local police department and police commissioner. We get shooting permits from there as well. They are needed for public places. For shooting on private property, you need a letter of consent from the property owner, which usually involves a fee for using the property for a shoot. Both private and public require set insurance. And, that costs money too. Depending on the stunts, pyros, and what you are shooting, the pricee of the insurance varies.

Hopefully, some new people will find this 411 useful.

Back