16mm sound movie

I'm about to buy Krasnogorsk-3 camera but I don't know how the hell am I gonna shoot sound movies. I know I have to record sound separately but how to synchronize it? Any ideas?

Beat to things together at the beginning of each take. Then synch the visual hit and the sound hit up in the editor. Most people use a slate, but you can use your hands, or two blocks of wood. You could even slap your script supervisor if necessary. As long as it is on both the audio and video tracks. Most people also include and audio slate stating what scene, etc.

digitize it all and synch it up in the editor. Your editing software manuals/online help will explain how to do this. I have done this a lot in AVID and it is tedious but pretty straightforward. The end result is you have the video and audio clips and a bunch of subclips that link the two together.

What you want to do is sync up your film with a soundtrack done the traditional way, with a sync block and splicer. You will have to get your audio track transfered to 16mm mag stock. This will allow you to physically syncronize your film to the audio. An editing bench included a sync block, splicer and viewer. A more eleborate and easier setup would be to use a flatbed editor like a Steenbeck. You used to be able to rent such setups before digital editing came into wide use.

You're welcome. I'm setup at home for 16mm and 35mm film and sound editing. I have purchased sync blocks and splicers from eBay and individuals who sell and service editing gear. You would also need a set of rewinds with long shafts to edit film and sound together. For my 35mm work I also have an upright Moviola, though someday I hope to purchase a 16mm Steenbeck once I get more room.

That's a nice machine. I don't know how the price translates to American dollars. This four plate will probably handle one picture and one sound track. It looks like a regular 16mm model. Later models were modified for Super 16mm and could handle two picture tracks and three or more soundtracks.

I learned how to edit on an eight plate Steenbeck,it was an awesome experience!I hated having to change and edit video tape to tape,it was so frustrating.I welcomed NLE systems because they're alot like handling film on a Steenbeck.

I have never used a K-3 for sync so I can't comment on it except to say that you will not only have to crystal sync it (or get a c/s motor and sync pulse gen and umbilical for cable sync),you will need to SILENCE the darned thing with a blimp or barney.One of the major drawbacks of a cheaper camera not self blimped.

Back