Battle of the wide angles...

So basically what is considered a good wide angle lens on a tight tight tight you ass squeaks when you sh#t tight budget?

I did originally consider the tokina 11-16mm and had my heart set on it, but then i saw the samyang/rokinon/walimex pro 14mm which is fully manual and cheaper too..

so does anyone know of wide angle lenses for 600d/apsc <whatever its called, thats under £350?

How wide do you want to go? Samyang make an 8mm f/3.5 fisheye lens - not to everyone's taste perhaps, but if you like the fisheye look then it's very good value.

The Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 seems to be well-rated for the price, though it is right at the limit of your budget.

While I'd normally suggest buying constant aperture zooms for video use (i.e. a lens where the maximum aperture doesn't change as you zoom), I still think the advantages of having a zoom lens outweigh the disadvantages at this price point - 10mm is hugely wider than 14mm and a 10mm/2x zoom range will give you far more options when it comes to composing a shot.

That said, if you're thinking of building up a set of primes and/or have no interest in using the lens for stills photography (where autofocus is very useful), then the Samyang 14mm would still be a great choice.

I picked up a Samyang/Bower/Rokinon/etc 14mm for $350 on Amazon and it's brilliant. I love it, 95% of the time I'm shooting with it or my 70-200. Looks good, not too distorted.

Look between the brands because at any given time the same lens is priced a little different depending on the branding.
Rokinon
Samyang
Bower
Pro Optic
Opteka
Polar
Vivitar*
Walimex Pro
Bell & Howelll

*From what I've read from a few, Vivtar is the same lens but when you look at images it's housed differently than the others. Can't guarantee it because I have no hands-on with a modern Vivtar.

Last edited:
I picked up a Samyang/Bower/Rokinon/etc 14mm for $350 on Amazon and it's brilliant. I love it, 95% of the time I'm shooting with it or my 70-200. Looks good, not too distorted.

Look between the brands because at any given time the same lens is priced a little different depending on the branding.
Rokinon
Samyang
Bower
Pro Optic
Opteka
Polar
Vivitar*
Walimex Pro
Bell & Howelll

*From what I've read from a few, Vivtar is the same lens but when you look at images it's housed differently than the others. Can't guarantee it because I have no hands-on with a modern Vivtar.

thanks for that, i was aware of :
Rokinon
Samyang
Bower
Walimex Pro

but not the others, just a question, do you have the VDSLR version of the lens or the normal version? (VDSLR has red lining and is toothed (dunno what you call it) for Follow Focus systems

I own the 85mm and the 14mm Photo versions, and one of my main clients who I shoot with quite a bit has the 24, 35 and 85 mm cine version with the de-clicked aperture and geared focus rings.

Aside form the ring and the de-clicked aperture they're identical. The cine versions have a slightly larger and more plastic outer housing to make make it the standard gear pitch, but the actual glass elements remain the same.

If you can manage it it's worth the extra $50 or so for the declicked aperture alone (so you can smoothly adjust the brightness inside a take). The gears are nice and when we were swapping lenses and using a follow focus it sped the process up quite a bit.

I own the 85mm and the 14mm Photo versions, and one of my main clients who I shoot with quite a bit has the 24, 35 and 85 mm cine version with the de-clicked aperture and geared focus rings.

Aside form the ring and the de-clicked aperture they're identical. The cine versions have a slightly larger and more plastic outer housing to make make it the standard gear pitch, but the actual glass elements remain the same.

If you can manage it it's worth the extra $50 or so for the declicked aperture alone (so you can smoothly adjust the brightness inside a take). The gears are nice and when we were swapping lenses and using a follow focus it sped the process up quite a bit.

thats really good to know, im saving up for the cine version, what would you say the 14mm is sharpest at? also do you have any footage of it?

Back