New position, new gear, help!

Hi there,
So I'm currently in an interview process for a position that I will hopefully land. The position is an in-house video/audio job at a company that manages many different car dealerships. It is a newly created position, so they don't have any equipment. Ideally what they want is somebody (just me, to start, at least) to shoot many different "user manual" type videos, as well as corporate stuff, and potentially many different projects like staff photos, etc.

They posed a question to me at the end of the interview, that I had somewhat prepped for, but now since it looks more and more likely that the position will be mine, I thought I'd do a bit of research for it as well:
What are the basics of everything that you will need to do this job?

Obviously, a camera, lights, audio, and editing gear are needed.

Since it isn't necessarily about having feature film, or even short film quality final products, they're looking for basics.

I'll need myself an iMac, I'll probably just give them the specs of mine, which I've used perfectly for freelancing, and personal shorts, etc. They have Adobe CS6 liscenses, so we're all good there, as I don't need any other extensions or plug ins as the goal of these videos is simplicity and quantity, not necessarily color grading or anything too much.

Video: I have a t3i, but they'll want a company camera to use as well. What would you recommend for a camera? I'm thinking another t3i, or potentially t2i, t4i, 5Dmkii? Depending on their budgets...Or go with some sort of Camcorder? I'm not a big fan and I will want lens interchangeability...

Lenses will also be important, if I'll be shooting pics/video inside cars, trunks, and under the hood, as well as other things like staff photos for online, etc. So a wide angle will be important for car interiors, to highlight roominess, etc. But do you have any suggestions for what sort of other lenses I will need? I think if I have a 14, 24, 50, and something telephoto just in case, I'll be in good shape, right?

Audio: What they've done is acceptable so far, just using a lav to mic up a guy talking about a car's specs. But for a few reasons, I would want to improve that. First, my job is sort of all-encompassing, improvement making, so that's one reason to do better. But secondly, there are specific moments when audio is important for these salespeople (listen to the difference between engines, body strength, etc.), so clear audio is important there. I'm wondering what your suggestions for audio gear will be here? Again, keeping in mind to keeping it basic, I'll need at least a H4n recorder/Tascam equivalent, a mid-line shotgun mic and backup, and a mid-line lav and backup, along with boom pole, and? Are my bases somewhat covered? What do I need here?

Lights: Who has a good suggestion for a decent light kit that would help me out in multiple different photo/video scenarios?

Thanks for dealing with the long post, Bottom Line Question: What basic audio/lighting(/video) gear will I need to be professional and proficient at a newly created position?

Audio: What they've done is acceptable so far, just using a lav to mic up a guy talking about a car's specs. But for a few reasons, I would want to improve that. First, my job is sort of all-encompassing, improvement making, so that's one reason to do better. But secondly, there are specific moments when audio is important for these salespeople (listen to the difference between engines, body strength, etc.), so clear audio is important there. I'm wondering what your suggestions for audio gear will be here? Again, keeping in mind to keeping it basic, I'll need at least a H4n recorder/Tascam equivalent, a mid-line shotgun mic and backup, and a mid-line lav and backup, along with boom pole, and? Are my bases somewhat covered? What do I need here?

It's extremely difficult to make suggestion without a defined budget.

Here's my recommendations for production sound:

Wireless - Sennheiser G3 ($700), Lectrosonics 100 series ($1,500), Lectrosonics 400 series ($3,000).

Lav - choose between the CountryMan B6 ($280 to $340) or B3 ($180 to $220), Sanken COS11 ($380 to $420), Tram TR-50 ($230 to $310). The Rode PinMic is actually pretty decent, although much larger than the others listed.

Recorders - Fostex FR-2LE ($600), Marantz PMD-661 ($500), Tascam HD-P2 ($700). If you need four (4) channels the Edirol/Roland R-44 ($1,100).

You should really get a mixer, either the Sound Devices MixPre-D ($900) or Sound Devices 302 ($1,600).

If you want to capture sounds in the field the Rode NTG-3 shotgun ($700) and Audio Technica AT4053b hypercardioid ($600) will cover both bases. You may want to add a Shure SM-57 ($100) for really loud sounds. There are literally dozens of other choices.

You'll need lots of accessories - boom-pole, shock-mount, wind protection, cables, cases, lav mounting supplies (moleskins, etc.) and the like.

Also keep in mind that production sound is only half of the battle. What happens in audio post is just as important - and can get even more expensive. Pro Tools is the standard DAW. Genelecs are pretty standard for speakers. Auralex is very popular for sound treatment. You may want to add an LDC (Large Diaphragm Condenser) mic for VO work, although if you have a quality shotgun mic that could work well, but takes some additional mic technique by the performer.

Yes, it's all pricey stuff, but, with the exception of the recorder, most will last a VERY long time. Remember that you are dealing with business people; these are long term investments that will save money in the long run. There are production sound people who have been using the same Sound Devices 302 for two decades, and some of their mics even longer. If you amortize the cost over ten (10 years) it's actually pretty reasonable (approx. $7,500 for production sound gear over 10 years is $750/year - after that, except for maintenance, it's paid for). And, again with the exception of the audio recorder, they have excellent resale value. Cheaper gear will not have the same long term investment value and minimal resale value. BTW, check out NY Sound Professionals and Trew Audio for their rental rates where you would get similar gear; it would cost a lot more than double (perhaps triple) the $700/year.

I'm making the assumption that there will be someone competent to run the gear and meet broadcast QC audio specs.

Thank you! Of course, I plan to fight for spending the money to get all the best....I'm somewhat expecting them to be hesitant spending 7500 on audio, however, when I'm sure what we'll be spending on video, lighting, and computer gear will barely match that...(t3i body @600, 4 lenses @2k, light kit @800, iMac @1500, dolly/slider @200, shoulder rig @150 = 5250)

You make a very good point about getting a VO mic, as well. I was going to forget about that one...

I did stress audio as an important aspect in our discussion, and I have no idea what sort of budget I'll have, and of course I can buy these high quality items used, save on an iMac getting it refurbished, etc.

Most of the work will be for online content to start, and hopefully I'll be able to run both audio and camera providing I take my time as I do have experience with both-less with production sound, but I've done alright with it. I know enough about where to shoot, what sort of rooms, to give myself as much a head start as I can.

Still, thank you for all the advice. I plan on doing as much more learning on audio post as I can, if you have any suggestions as to where to learn this online, it'd be much appreciated! I don't mind spending the time, starting slowly with the basics and building my knowledge as I need it might not be the best way to go, but I'm sure it'll be more than acceptable for these purposes.

As I said, these are business people who should understand the difference between investing and spending.

Part of the selling job is for them to understand that if they want professional results they need to purchase professional equipment (and a professional to use them, but that's another issue). I can very easily trim down the $7.5k to about $5k.

My list was:

Lectrosonics 100 series wireless - $1,500 x 2 = $3k
Sanken COS11 lavs - $380 x 2 = $760

Tascam HD-P2
Sound Devices MixPre-D
NTG-3 Shotgun
AT4053b Hyper
Accessories

Replace the Lectros with Sennheiser G3 wireless ($700 x 2 = $1,400) and use the stock lavs; that saves $2,350. Drop the NTG-3 and AT4053, and save another $1,300. Buy the kits (recorder w/case, etc.) and save a few more.

The whole idea of your presentation, however, is to first present the top quality wish list. Have your alternate list in reserve. When they balk at the cost - if they do - pull out the second list, but let them know most of it will need to be replaced in four or five years rather than 10 or more, and the quality will not be as professional. The department will have to rent what else is needed (shotgun, hypers, etc.) on a project by project basis. Give them printouts of rental prices from Trew and NY ProSound. Estimate the costs of renting gear per project over five and ten years. Do the same with hiring outside professionals. The idea is to show them that, although the initial outlay is substantial, they save a lot of money in the long run.

Do the same with all of your camera and other gear - a RED or whatever, top flight lighting kit. Present the rental and hiring professionals estimates. Then your pared down list with the quality warnings.

After you get approval for a bit more than your "minimal" list and turn in great work you look like a frigging genius!

Since you want to be able to cover stills and video, something in the DSLR family is a solid choice. Since you will be working on someone else's dime, you will want reliability, some level of standardization, and the ability to work quickly.

5Dmk2/3 would be a good choice, but you will struggle with focus on your slider moves and other moving shots. Something in APS-C (60D, 7D) would probably be my choice. Since I would want to be able to move fast, I would probably pickup overlapping L series zooms (24-70, 70-200, iirc) and a couple of primes to fill out. One for the portrait work (likely an 85, though maybe a 50 for APS-C) and something very wide for the sheetmetal work.

Scour the internet for all of your support gear used, and frankly, if you are looking at expensive lenses, look for those used as well.

A commercial grade tripod.
Extra batteries & memory cards.
Variable ND filter, (the outside work is gonna be diffucult without one.)

Re the audio gear pitch:
A good salesman offers a low, medium, & premium option.
Most often the customer picks the medium.
I understand they're content with what they have currently, but suggest that "decent" on-site audio collection saves post production time & $$ by not having to clean it up AS MUCH.

Option A - Rode VideoMic Pro
Option B - Shotgun, Boom Pole, PreAmp, Tascam.
Option C - The minimum shebang.

Back