Microphones

Hey! I know that audio is just as important as the visuals in a film and i was wondering if anyone could recommend a microphone at max 150$ that i could use to record the audio for my film that will be clear but cheap. At the moment all i have is some crappy 3.5mm mics and some really good usb mics which im pretty sure i cant use to record this. So anyone know of any cheap but still clear mics with a preferably 3.5mm jack in it for long range use?

-Frank

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a microphone at max 150$ ... that will be clear but cheap.

I'm a huge proponent of doing the most you can on a minimal budget, but you are going to have to up your budget. Sorry, I know that's not the answer that you wanted to hear, but sometimes reality is a slap in the face with a cold fish.

The Rode VideoMic is just at your limit - $150. The various kits, which add a boom-pole, wind protection, or/and an extension cable (all of which you will need) range from $170 to $270.

You should really get the Rode VideoMic Pro - you did say "clear," correct? You will get a hotter signal without a noticeable increase in self-noise

The Audio Technica AT897 ($216) and Rode NTG-2 ($270) will also do a very nice job without the need for external phantom power. You will need to purchase an impedance matcher in addition to a boom-pole, shock-mount, wind protection and cables. Be aware that if/when you upgrade to a low impedance audio recorder that the AT897 and NTG-2 have noticeably lower volume output levels than mics that exclusively receive their phantom power externally.

Oh, BTW, don't forget a pair of GOOD headphones like the Sony MDR-7506 ($99). If you aren't listening all the time you've already lost half the battle.

As always, I must mention that knowledge, skill and technique are just as important, if not more important, than the equipment. (Actually, they go hand in hand.) If hiring a pro is beyond your means you should really try to hook up with a knowledgeable up-and-comer. Just handing the boom-pole to someone without at least a basic knowledge of audio and boom technique is almost as bad as leaving the mic on the camera.

While Alcove has good advice, it's really hard to say definitively if we don't know what camera and/or audio recorder you're using. So... ?

If you don't have a camera or audio recorder with XLR inputs, it certainly limits your options.

Fwilly, you have to think about sound the same way that you think about the picture. There is no sound equipment at any budget which will always give you clear sound, just like there isn't a camera which will always give you the shot you want, even with a world class camera and world class DOP.

Depending on where you are shooting; the location's background noise, what/how you are able to reduce that noise, the quality of the sound equipment you've got and the skill of the person using it, are the factors which will determine whether or not you can record clean and usable sound. You mention long range use and for that you are certainly going to need a balanced recording system (XLR connectors), as implied by Alcove and stated by AcousticAl. Here is a thread which explains what a balanced audio recording system is and why it's important.

G

Fwilly, you have to think about sound the same way that you think about the picture. There is no sound equipment at any budget which will always give you clear sound, just like there isn't a camera which will always give you the shot you want, even with a world class camera and world class DOP.

Depending on where you are shooting; the location's background noise, what/how you are able to reduce that noise, the quality of the sound equipment you've got and the skill of the person using it, are the factors which will determine whether or not you can record clean and usable sound. You mention long range use and for that you are certainly going to need a balanced recording system (XLR connectors), as implied by Alcove and stated by AcousticAl. Here is a thread which explains what a balanced audio recording system is and why it's important.

G
I do have something that can take XLR Cables but its an audio interface (Audio USB) that needs to be plugged into a computer which I can't really carry around all the time. So if I was filming someone like an interview sitting down, I could use a XLR cable but I might as well by one I can use while walking and someone stationary rather than 2.

If you don't have a camera or audio recorder with XLR inputs, it certainly limits your options.

So you will need to do what Alcove suggests:
The Audio Technica AT897 ($216) and Rode NTG-2 ($270) will also do a very nice job without the need for external phantom power. You will need to purchase an impedance matcher in addition to a boom-pole, shock-mount, wind protection and cables. Be aware that if/when you upgrade to a low impedance audio recorder that the AT897 and NTG-2 have noticeably lower volume output levels than mics that exclusively receive their phantom power externally.

For about $20 you can buy a balanced converter/impedance matcher so you can used a balanced mic into the unbalanced camera. The disadvantage is you will be still relying on the meters and mic-preamps in your camera which are almost always very poor. Unfortunately, the lower your budget, the lower your chances of getting decent sound.

G

Back