Official Canon batteries vs third party alternatives

I'm looking into buying a couple more batteries for my 600D. I don't think I'd need many as I'm not doing tons of continuous recording, but one or two might be necessary. What do people think about paying full price for Canon quality vs buying potentially inferior batteries for cheaper? Do the gains outweigh the potential quality loss.

On a somewhat related note, would anyone consider a battery grip to be a useful addition? And if so, has anyone used one?

I actually use both. I have a couple of genuine Canon I use in the camera and I have a couple of generic I use in my monitor, though they also serve as backup batteries for the camera. I've never had an issue with the knock offs, though I hear stories of the chip inside not working great and causing the battery level to be incorrect or not work at all.

I don't see the ultility in a grip personally, but I don't do much shooting away from power. I can cycle two batteries through a whole days' shoot in the camera. One is being used the other is on the charger.

I use both a third party grip and third party batteries. I use the grip to help aleviate the overheating from long video shoots. Third party batteries have been hit and miss. Even betteries that list being chipped have quit reporting status after a few charges. They still work fine, just don't report back to the camera their condition.

Interesting feedback. I have to say I feel at this point I wouldn't get the necessary benefit from a battery grip, especially as I feel, like Gonzo, I can easily cycle between batteries. I think for now I'm just going to go for a couple of third party batteries. Thanks for the advice guys :)

I've got Canon and third party batteries and a third party grip - no problems with any of them. I've had a play with a genuine Canon grip too, and there was very little difference in terms of build quality or materials. Wasn't entirely sure it was sensible going with third party accessories at first, but for the price of one Canon battery I got two third party batteries and a battery grip… not a bad deal, considering they seem to hold just as much charge as the OEM ones. (That particular set was recommended to me by Phil_UK.)

The third party batteries I bought were a joke. They lasted an hour and a half when a Canon lasted 4 -6 hours. At least the way we were shooting then. I returned them and bought OEM gray market batteries on eBay. They're Canon through and through, just boxed with a little more chinesse writing and a little sticker that says "not for sale in the US". They're like $20 each now on eBay, can't beat em.

I've got Canon and third party batteries and a third party grip - no problems with any of them. I've had a play with a genuine Canon grip too, and there was very little difference in terms of build quality or materials. Wasn't entirely sure it was sensible going with third party accessories at first, but for the price of one Canon battery I got two third party batteries and a battery grip… not a bad deal, considering they seem to hold just as much charge as the OEM ones. (That particular set was recommended to me by Phil_UK.)

Sounds like a great deal, I don't suppose you have a link to it (if it's still available)

I buy my third party batteries on ebay from itrimming. I have purchased multiple batteries on numerous occasions for different cameras. I have never had a problem with any of the batteries and itrimming's service is very good. I also have a factory BH4 grip on my 5D and always shoot with a grip because I do a lot of still photography away from easy power. I had a third party battery grip from Best Buy on my Nikon 60D. No problems with that one either.

Back