16mm clip in 1080p

Some hand held 16mm footage in 1080p from this past winter of the Boonton Falls in Boonton, NJ.

http://www.vimeo.com/25747566

Shot with an Eclair NPR U16mm. Scanned in a S16 gate and cropped to 16x9 using a Spirit Datacine.

Film stock: Kodak 7219 500T (Old short end)
Lens: Nikon 20mm
Negative processing: Colorlab
Scanning: ScanYourFilm.com

Final Cut Pro X

Music by: Esther Golton
Album: Aurora Borealis
Song: Tiptoe, Maybe She'll Come Out (Partial)

Last edited:
Ahh! Nice and cool to take my mind of this Florida jungle humidity. Thank you.

If you don't mind a stupid question, what do you see in the viewfinder of a film camera like that (besides the subject)? Is it mirrored through the lens?

Love the shots, nice to see someone using an NPR. Also a couple of questions. U16? As in ultra-16? Did have the mod done (or DIY), or did it come you that way?

Impressive prices from the site you linked on your vimeo page for transfers. a penny a frame for 1080, lessie, 1000' @24fps in 16 is .. crap .. I use to know this ....

Nevermind, they have a calc on their site, lol. I'll look up the trivia later. :D 1000' ~$400 in HD. That seems like mighty fine pricing. Did you like using them?

Thanks everyone. The NPR is a see through the lens camera. I had it converted to Ultra16 by Bernie at Super16inc.com.

I used ScanYourFilm.com twice. The scans look great and a great price but they do not have a Ultra16 gate for the spirit that's why it was scanned in a S16 gate. The resulting scan is bigger than R16 but slightly less than U16. The second time there was a technical issue with the Spirit had to what a week longer for the scans. I would call first before sending any film. They're a bit hard to get a hold of.

Back