NoOb seeking help!

Hey guys! So this is my first post, yay me haha. Anyways, My name is David and I'm excited about being part of this community. I am an aspiring filmmaker who waited too long(In my book) to get started. I am 21 and I am considering transferring to a film school when I finish my Associates degree. I will try to keep this short so I don't bore anybody too terribly bad. I am currently writing a film and I am hoping to finish it within the month and start casting in a month or two. I recently purchased a camcorder. Its a Sony HDR-CX110. I am completely happy with it. The question I have is, what exactly do I need to get in terms of audio? I feel kind of stupid asking, but I don't know the difference between a boom mic, a shotgun mic, and so on. I was hoping somebody could please explain the differences for me and maybe suggest a good mic for a starting filmmaker. I am looking at purchasing a mic around the $200 range, but I would like to know what I am buying first lol. Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this, and any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
David Stoermer

Welcome, David.

The $200.00 budget has been a popular one lately. The fact that you think that audio is important is a huge sign you want to do this right. For the time being until you are advised by an audio evangelist (the highest compliment to those in the field), check out the Rode Videomic and study up on what it is and what it does for the money for baseline knowledge. It's good to be "up" on something related when asking a question like yours. Good luck.

Thanks a lot guys! Audio is just as important as the actual video. You might have the most beautiful shot ever, but if the sound quality is bad, its going to be seen, and heard, by the audience as a horrible movie, for the most part. I did some research on the Rode Videomic. It looks like a nice mic, but the only problem I have is that my hdr-cx110 does not support external microphones.

Thanks a lot guys! Audio is just as important as the actual video. You might have the most beautiful shot ever, but if the sound quality is bad, its going to be seen, and heard, by the audience as a horrible movie, for the most part. I did some research on the Rode Videomic. It looks like a nice mic, but the only problem I have is that my hdr-cx110 does not support external microphones.

That's a problem that can be fixed, but you're budget has to move. If you play your cards right, you won't be buying audio equipment for your next camera. The great news is audio technology doesn't typically change as fast as camera technology, so you'll own and use this stuff for a long while.

Back