Marantz PMD-660K

I am looking at finally ditching my Zoom H4 recorder and purchasing a real field recorder.

Right now, what is at the top of my list is a small Marantz PMD-660K kit. For anyone who has used this recorder, what are your impressions on the quality and experiences with capturing sound?

Get the PMD-661; it's a bit more expensive, but it will do 24bit/96kHz (DVD standard is 24/48). The PMD-660 will only do 16bit/44.1kHz (CD standard).

Oade Brothers has several modification packages (the "super" mod is probably best for EFP) that greatly improve the S/N ratio and are not much more expensive than the stock version. Just be aware; recorders modded by Oade Brothers often reveal the noise/flaws of your mics!

I currently use a Marantz PMD-660, which I purchased from Amazon.

Shortly after, I found out about Oade Bros. Contacted Doug Oade (great guy!) and sent the unit to him for modification.

The difference in sound (or rather, the lack of noise) between the factory version and the Oade modified version was seriously worth the money.

I've used it for around 5 years or so now. I do consider upgrading to a 24-bit model every now and then, but I quickly dismiss those feelings. ;)

Realized I didn't give much feedback on the device itself.

As a field recorder, I've really enjoyed using it. Nothing about it is difficult or finicky (in my experience).
It's plastic, of course, but feels substantial enough.

Takes a bit of setup when you first get it. (ie. Mine's set to WAV, highest quality... set it out of the box and never touched the settings since) Reviewing tracks is easy. Deleting requires a combination of buttons (and I often forget which button to hit in conjunction with Shift), but overall it's intuitive... very simple to use. Easy to ride the sound manually while recording, etc.

I use an XLR cardioid condenser mic, and the unit quickly drains batteries with phantom power enabled... but that's generally the case with most any device.

The FR2-LE is also a nice box, especially (again!) with the Oade Brothers mods.

When you get to things like comparing the FR2 to the PMD-661 it's comparing apples to apples. See if there is a dealer near you and play with them for a while. The only thing I found with the FR2 is that the menu screens required me to adjust my thinking a little. The FR2 construction seems a bit more solid, and I like the physical layout a little better. But that's all personal opinion, and you know - or should - one of my many mantras:

Opinions are like a$$holes; everybody has one and they all stink!

Back