My main actor is threatening to not show up on set anymore?

It sounds like the situation has grown out of proportion. What to do now? You're probably going to have to kiss his ass and be glad to see the ass end of him. I'm sure others on the set would also be happy to see him gone. Work out what you have to do to expedite his exit. It's a little hard to know the absolutely right move to do as every person is different and every situation is different, though I've met a few people who are like that.

Once it's complete you can consider whether it's worth taking him to court. If he's an actor, he may pretty much be judgement proof (when they are so poor, you hope to only make a point in court).

I'd check with a solicitor. He may be attempting to put you under duress as to get you to agree to extra terms. I'd check with your solicitor whether if you made a new agreement under those conditions whether he'd be able to enforce it.

I'd avoid voice overs if at all possible, even to the point where you bring in another actor do dub over his lines.

What you should have done is fire his ass as soon as you saw the writing on the wall.

A few views from the outside....

I would assume payment for ADR and voiceover work too. It's not the actor's fault if sound on set sucks. Why should they work for hundreds of hours for free because the production screwed up sound? No legal document can bind someone to labor without compensation. If you didn't explicitly name ADR and voice recording sessions in the original contract, courts would find this to be a "change of scope" and rule in his favor.

Last edited:
If you take this to court what will you get if you prevail?

What is in the contract about voiceovers?

Legally you seem in a no win situation. If he breaches the contract what
happens? You spend a LOT of money on lawyers, you win, he loses, then
what? He pays you damages? Will those damages be enough to cover
the cost of reshooting the entire movie with another actor plus your costs
of a lawsuit?

My only suggestion is to plow through. Do the best you can to make
him feel important. The movie is more important than a drama queen.
And depending on how the contract is written you may not have anything
to gain even if you sue and win.

Listen I dont know the specific situation because you havent explained but I highly suggest you to invite him to a dinner in a quiet place, tell him to open his heart and to tell you the issue and try to help him and break his doubts.. I mean you can use your ego and get mad at him etc but nothing good would come out of it so try the first way.

Forget the lawsuit if you've not much money riding on this. You'll have to have compelling evidence the actor caused you to lose substancial money in order to win anything. Juries don't really understand how critical an actor dropping out is -- you can't just reshoot.

Instead, get out your script and kill him off immediately. Look over what you've already shot and come up with a couple of "bridge scenes" (not actual bridges) to explain/show the death. Then rewrite the last part of your script to accommodate his absence and the introduction of a new character (only if necessary -- it's better to elevate an existing character to a more prominent role).

Accept the fact that this isn't the film you want to make, but rather, the film you have to make.

What you don't want is to have this guy on your set ever again. Ever. He'll wreck the entire production if he shows his face on the set again and you'll have a movie you hate.

Good luck.

Back