Preparing My Cast for Romance Scenes?

This is my first post in this forum, so I apologize in advance if I have posted under the wrong heading or any such error as that.

I am in pre-production for an experimental indie film (drama/comedy). I am both directing and playing a small role in the feature. I have directed several short films and one feature-length film before so I am no stranger to the craft, but this is the first film that I have ever attempted on my own...that is, without any sponsor or organization backing me financially. All of my expenses come out of my own pocket, so I am trying to pinch pennies where I can.

I am quite used to working with professional actors and actresses that I have "borrowed" from theatre companies nearby me. However, for this film, due to budget and a necessary relocation I recently made, I have auditioned and casted people in my area who have very little experience with serious acting. I have seen evidence of acting talent within them, and I know they are very committed to the filmmaking process and I believe they are up to the challenge and will perform magnificently. All the same, three or four of them are a little bit nervous about the scripted love scenes.

As I am used to working with professional acting talent, I have never had to push anybody too far out of their comfort zone in order to shoot a love scene before. The scenes in this film are essential plot devices and cannot be cut without scaling back the story. The scenes themselves don't really feature anything more than "making out" (passionate kissing, potential tongue kissing, tight embraces, etc.) so it should, by no means, be a jarring leap into the jaws of death for any acting talent in particular. They have all committed to this knowing that the aforementioned scenes were necessary elements, but that doesn't seem to make them feel any less awkward about the days we will be filming them.

That said, any thoughts on how far I can push my first-time, somewhat-inexperienced acting talent before I cross the line and become overbearing or intimidating? Would it be wrong of me to encourage them to practice the kissing scenes with their co-stars before coming to set? Any advice on what I can say or do to make this experience easier for them? Should I schedule these scenes to be knocked out first, so as to clear the awkwardness out of the way as quickly as possible?

I'm sure everything will turn out just fine in the end, but between here and there, I want the film to be the best it can possibly be, and I want to keep my cast interested and excited about this project. Since this seems to be a bit of a mental roadblock for a few of them, I want to be sure to handle it in the best way that I can as a director.

So, any ideas?

Hi B00uWhore,

Thanks for the comments, I agree if your working with a professional actress I guess they are more used to working in such situations. Most projects I've worked on so far are with actors/actresses who are still building a portfolio, so thats where my experience comes from, but with this short im looking to move up and work with paid actors and actresses.

Just didnt want to possibly alienate good actresses due to that one small scene.

GuerillaAngel's advice is actually a good one. However, I know some directors who shot those kinds of scenes last. So that the actors will be comfortable with each other. Both makes sense and it's your call. I'd personally shot the scenes first and then if you have time and you think their chemistry was enhanced by the other scenes, then shoot it again.

It having been some time since I started this thread, I thought I would report how things went so that somebody else might benefit from my experiences.

I decided to take my cast out to dinner ( a few days before filming) started so as to get everyone social and comfortable with each other. We had a brief discussion about what everyone could expect, and I was very candid and blunt about everyone's romance scenes, almost mentioning it as an afterthought amongst other pertinent details like our scene schedule and call sheets. We shot all the love scenes on the third day of the filming schedule, affectionately dubbed "awkward day" for cast amusement. At first, everyone was nervous, and of course that came across on camera. So, we kept at it, doing as many as 4 or 5 takes of the same shot if necessary, until everyone was comfortable enough kissing each other that they weren't knotted up inside any longer. Then, like magic, we got a perfect take for each scene.

It seems that repetition and patience were the keys.

There was no amount of talking or preparation that was going to soothe their nervousness, so we simply had to get them to fake it until they made it. In the end, their performances were quite solid. I'm very pleased with the way that some of the romance scenes turned out; though, it'll easily be 2014 before we finish editing the stupid thing. :P

Back