series True Blood series is over

sfoster

Staff Member
True Blood is an HBO series, which oddly has more character development than the books it's based on. You generally don't see that sort of thing.

The show is essentially about sex, drugs, and violence in a supernatural world. IMO it peaked in season 2, but it's finally over now.

Did anyone else watch this?
I was SO sure how it was going to end, but I was wrong :no:

Unfortunately the ending that they did instead was a lot worse.

Here is how I would have ended the series:

sookies ball of light that "kills vampires" should have only killed the vampire part of bill and left the human part alive. then they're both normal humans and live happily ever after.

Nope, but I'm in several episodes. :cool:

lol background actor
:blush:

This is a series I've been meaning to get caught up with; there's just so many great-looking shows right now. :)

The Fellowship of the sun episodes in season 2 were some of the most entertaining television I've ever seen. The newline's are a married couple that preach about jesus and the evils of vampires on national television, and they run a church that one of the cast members joins. It's a great satire on fundamentalists. I've seen every episode now, but after season 2 it's kind of like the walking dead where I need to fast forward past certain scenes to keep the show bearable.

My wife read the books earlier this year, then became obsessed with the show.. hearing the series has ended is wonderful news. :lol:

I thought the first season was really really good, then somewhere in season 2 they lost me (probably with the introduction of the shape shifters) and I never came back.

True Blood is an HBO series, which oddly has more character development than the books it's based on. You generally don't see that sort of thing.

Dexter was similar - the books are pretty lightweight, so the show really built up the world and the characters quite a bit from the original premise.

Unfortunately the ending that they did instead was a lot worse.

I thought the ending was fine, if a bit drawn out. I never really got into the show - my wife loved it though, so I've seen a lot of it and followed the general storyline. It was a bit too much "kitchen sink" for my tastes - what's it going to be this week, zombies? Ghosts? When does frankenstein show up?

I thought the ending was fine, if a bit drawn out.

I had several problems with the ending.

A lot of the show was eric and bill fighting over sookie. Why does bill think that him dieing will let sookie have a normal life, he even said himself that there would be a line of vampire suitors. Why does he put sookie through the task of staking him? That seems awfully traumatic for something he could have done himself. The whole thing seemed very bizarre and forced.

Sure, I see that - and it goes even farther. For instance,
why would Bill suggest that Jessica and Hoyt get married, if they're going to go through the exact same thing he wanted to protect Sookie from with him
? But from my standpoint the whole series, and most of the situations/confilcts within it, felt so forced that it didn't really bother me that the ending was forced as well. There were numerous times throughout where people could have made simple decisions that would have completely avoided the conflicts that drove entire subplots - so I wasn't expecting anything different at the end given the context.

The biggest disappointment was that my anticipated ending was better than what we actually got. If I didn't think for myself and just zoned out in front of the TV (like everyone does from time to time) maybe it wouldn't have been a let down.

Oh well. It's over.

Oh and one other note.. I only read the first book. It's one thing watching sex on TV, it's another thing reading about it. I felt really awkward and didn't realize I was reading a steamy women's novel when I first picked up the paper back :lol:

I made it to about season 4, I think. I don't think I really disliked it, just never really cared to keep up with it. My girlfriend was a bigger fan, but even she stopped keeping up with it. She made it a lot further in the books than I did, but neither of us made it to the end. I have another friend that did read them all,
and apparently she ends up with Sam at the end of the books. You know, pretty much out of nowhere.
I do agree that the show was far better than the books in most regards. Everyone in the show is a fully developed character with their own arcs and stories, not just Sookie with everyone else just in the background. I think I only made it as far in the books as I did because they take about an hour to read; really fluffy stuff. Sort of how I feel about the Dresden Files...fun to read, but nothing to go out of your way for. I did think some of the fairy-world stuff was more interesting in the books, but not as much as, say, Charles de Lint (a personal favorite of mine). Oh, and I agree that the Dexter books are pretty terrible (though to be fair, I only read the first, and the first Dresden book is pretty awful too). I don't remember the sex scenes in the book being all that steamy, but then again, I'm a Clive Barker fan...

I sort of feel like maybe I should give the show another watch-through, now that it's done, but it's pretty low priority, which is a shame given how excited I was when it first aired.

Back