Issues With Crew

Hi all!!
I'm wondering what you all would suggest for politely asking people to leave your project, without them getting upset and sending out a message to their network to not work with you. I have 2 people that have indicated interest in being producers for my current project, but neither of them takes any initiative to do things to get the project rolling forward, and both of them have made me wait around on them for several days before responding to something I try to communicate about. Lastly, and really the straw that broke the camel's back with these 2 is my getting a crowdfunding page going to get funds to make a trailer in time for FantasyCon in a month, asking both of them to share it on their page with their respective networks, and neither of them will do it.

So, I want to move on to other people that are more interested in working, how do I do that without ending up on 2 people's blacklist?

Last edited:
Just say the arrangement is not a good match and move on. Be professional. Expect drama, but hope it doesn't happen.

If you start getting into the details of why you're letting them go, there will be drama.

Hi all!!
I'm wondering what you all would suggest for politely asking people to leave your project, without them getting upset and sending out a message to their network to not work with you.
You can't. so don't even try.

They will be upset and they might send out a message to their network to
not work with you. You cannot do or say anything to control how they feel
or what they will do when upset.

GA is correct - be professional and polite and honest.

I would add that if these people are working for free, you may want to temper your expectations for the next producer as well. Having to wait around on and/or push people to move is just part of the process when doing a no budget film

asking people to leave your project

There's an old ancient Asian technique that Buddhist monks developed to help deal with situations like this. Go and talk to them like a human being.

You cannot control what other people do, so don't lose sleep over it. The best you can do is talk to them like an adult. If they're an asshat, being on their blacklist isn't going to affect you much. If you're the asshat, you're already on their blacklist, so nothing lost anyway.

Use this as a learning experience and ask more questions up front. sfoster may be also correct. Your expectation of what to expect from an (assuming) unpaid producer may be unrealistic.

I have 2 people that have indicated interest in being producers for my current project, but neither of them takes any initiative to do things to get the project rolling forward, and both of them have made me wait around on them for several days before responding to something I try to communicate about.

This is the main issue I see. They've indicated an interest in getting involved, though neither have probably committed. Do they actually know they're attached? If so, did they agree?

Have you actually spoken to them like Sweetie said? I mean that would be the obvious first option.

If it were me, and someone kindly asked me why I was absent from doing my job on the film, I would get going and do my job. Sometimes people are a bit oblivious or need to be spoken to for everything. Not everyone works under the own initiative and more often I find that I need to kindly remind people of things. Talk to them, be nice, be respectful, hear them out. If it's not going to work for you, move on and find someone who is willing to help you and who has the same drive. Sure, they might say some bad stuff about you, but in the end if you are respectful and just get on with your job, your mutual friends will know the real reason why they were let go.

Back