I am a developer of video gear.

Hi I am a small developer of video gear and was hoping to ask Indie film people if my gear is going in the right direction. I was convinced it was totally cool when I went out and made it. Now after months of trying to get it to catch on I have not been able to get the sales I thought I would. So I am looking to the internet to gather information / ideas.
I wont mention the name of the gear ( so I am not advertising ) but want a discussion with what I hope would be end users of the gear about its direction and viability. So if you want to toss in your 2 cents I would appreciate it.
I have created a multi input SD/HD disk recorder with a twist. It can simultaneously record 2,3,4 or 4 HD inputs.

The twist is while you are recording you can create a cuts list. When you are done recording you can open your favorite editor (vegas, premiere, etc) and load the clips with all the edits.
The edits do not damage the original clips so at the end you can alter the edit.
Its a new twist that it gives you the power to edit while you on the shoot reducing your total time.
Is this product viable to Indie film makers? Thats my question of the day.
How would you market it? I figure you guys know more about marketing than I.
Some ideas would be great.

Hmmm...that's a doozie of an idea. I suppose it would help out for some situations...for basic stuff...

...but all of the films I've worked on, and all of the times I've sat in on the editing phase, there are far too many choices in takes and far too many subtle timing issues that need to take place in your editing suite...so why even bother doing it in-camera.

I can see this as a viable solution for super rough cuts of certain media...but not for feature film making.

Plus, how are you viewing your in-camera edits? Through the LCD screen? Through a monitor? If you use the LCD, there are too many fine details you might miss about a take, that you could easily choose wrong...what if you put the cut together, and didn't realize there was a boom in the shot (or a boom shadow which is less obvious). You're not going to notice some of these things until you go home and watch the dailies, or start dumping footage.

I'm just not sure about this idea...I think with the way things are today (ie. digital footage to non-linear editing suites), we've already got our work cut out for us...it's a cake walk compared to film editing...why do we need it even more streamline?

Next thing to come out is a camera that edits entirely for you...lol...where's the fun in that?

:)

My two cents.

>>...but all of the films I've worked on, and all of the times I've sat in on the editing phase, there are far >>too many choices in takes and far too many subtle timing issues that need to take place in your editing >>suite...so why even bother doing it in-camera.

This idea came about when my partner shot a low budget film. At the end of the shoot he had 86 hours
of footage and then had to start editing. First he had to digitize. That alone he told me was worth the price of the unit. Then he had to clip organize etc. Took a long long time to get finished.

The idea of this product is digitize all the feeds straight to disk from the start.
You create cuts list right there and while you are watching and when you are done you can open
up an editor and start adjusting the timing or even replacing the cuts.

>>I can see this as a viable solution for super rough cuts of certain media...but not for feature film making.
Wouldnt it help to speed up the process? Maybe not?

>>Plus, how are you viewing your in-camera edits?
You view all the feeds on an LCD panel. I use a 24inch and view 5 feeds well enough to cut with.

>>If you use the LCD, there are too many fine details you might miss about a take, that you could easily >>choose wrong...what if you put the cut together,
>>and didn't realize there was a boom in the shot (or a boom shadow which is less obvious).
Well the cool thing is it records all the feeds at the same time. So the Boom shot isn't lost.
Its on the disk. You just need to replace the original. There is no bad edits with this unit. Only rough
cuts to help reduce production time. Thats the idea we had.

Thanks for the replies.

Back