RIP Ray Harryhausen

For those of you too young to know or remember, before CGI Ray Harryhausen was the godfather of special effects.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie...mbered-6-most-important-movies-213352488.html

rayh02_MightyJoeYoung.jpg

hero719_harryhausen-skeleton.jpg

thecyclops3.jpg

647_4.jpg

Nope, this one I will just outright deny. It can't be true. Everything that is modern Special FX is because of this man... Won't believe this one. Other's passing have been horrible losses, this one is just impossible.

We look at these films and say "what cheesey special effects" but when they were made this was top of the line work. I still remember being awed by the visual special effects in "2001 A Space Oddssey".
He was one of the best and the role model for those who are now doing the CG stuff that blows us away.
RIP Sir!!!!

RIP Ray.

I remember him live at a Creation Convention years ago in NYC with his drawings, paintings, and stop motion models on exhibit.

That's for the memories and all of the wonderful films.

I think I can finally post to this thread without losing it.

I worked for quite a number of years under Phil Tippett; a living legend in visual effects, creature animation, and a protege of Ray Harryhausen. Phil was steeped in Ray's approach to creature animation and I like to think that a few drips of the marinade fell on me as well (I can dream can't I?).

Over the years, I've had the pleasure of meeting Ray on several occasions and I hung on every word he said. He was not only a technical innovator he also was an excellent illustrator. It's incredible that a single VFX artist could have as much impact as Ray did; they literally wrote his creature ideas into the films. That's a far cry from the current state of affairs in visual effects. For the cause of the summer tent pole VFX has taken a giant step backwards, transforming us from craftsmen into short order cooks. Is more better, or is better, better? Just look at Ray's resume and you'll see what one man can do in the film industry.

Dear Ray, the first time we met, you asked me which of your creatures was my favorite. I said I loved all of them. I didn't want to pick the wrong one and upset you. I'm pretty sure you knew I lied ... sorry ...

... Kali.

I have several books about Ray and I highly recommend these:
Ray Harryhausen: An Animated Life.
The Art of Ray Harryhausen.

Last edited:
Back