How can I get Adrien Brody in film?

Yeah, so basically it's a vicious cycle. You want the actor to secure funding, but the actor won't be secured without funding.

Tine said:
Yeah, so basically it's a vicious cycle. You want the actor to secure funding, but the actor won't be secured without funding.
Glass half empty.
Glass half full.

If ones script is good enough to get financing, then attracting name talent is easy.

If a writer/producer doesn't have a script that will stand on it's own - without a "name" attached, then finding an actor willing to take the chance becomes more difficult.

Often, first time filmmakers will make a film on a very low budget with no names attached. Richard Kelly made a couple of amazing shorts before he did Donnie Darko. We all know Kevin Smith's story. And Robert Rodriguez. And Ed Burns. Then use that movie to attract more money and name talent.

If you really need the actor to secure funding, than that actor is putting his reputation on the line. That actor is then, effectively, a producer.

I know this was the case with Monster.

It can be done.
It HAS been done.

You just have to know that game. And play by the rules.

I agree with directorix.

However, there is another way in.

If you try to cast someone who is curently "Hot" in Hollywood, they are going to be fending off offers from large money, studio backed projects and you'd have to have seriously good personal connection into them, in order to get past their agent, who realising that they have a short shelf life will want to earn the big bucks, whilst they are on the table.

However, there are hundreds of name Hollywood actors, who right at this very moment can't even get arrested in LA. If you've got a great script, a project that will reintroduce or reinvent them, you have a very good chance of being taken seriously, even if you haven't got all your funding in place.

The trick with this is knowing who to approach.

The other group of names who will talk to poor old indies are mid to high profile TV actors who are having problems making the breakthrough into film. Again, the project has to have good Arthouse credibility and will show them off as "serious" actors. If you think you have a Palm D'or credibile film, you can open all kinds of doors. However, the best place to make those kinds of deals is in person, at Cannes.

Personally, I think it's a mistake to go for a currently Hollywood "Hot" actor, you'll never compete with studio money and someone who is hot needs to earn as much as possible right now, just in case the offers go away. They can't afford to take a shot a a film that doesn't already have serious money in place. Indie films always do best, in my opinion when they re-discover old stars and bring new talent to the front.

I've made my first feature with complete unknowns, and my for second I'm using names who are very big in the genre I'm working in. I'm sure that I never could have attracted the talent that I've got for the second film, if this had been my first feature. It's all about credibility. As it is, even if I could pick anyone from the current Hollywood Hot list for the second feature, I'd still go with the people I'm currently talking to.

However, I already know that for the third film I'll need at least one Hollywood A list actor, but, I also know that the commercial sucess of the second film, the quality of the third script and my already established LA connections with the agent I need to talk to, will get me all of those things. The point is, my game plan for getting that actor on board, is already two years long.

Sucess as an indie is about understanding the business, knowing your place in it, your strenghts and your weaknesses and having a long term business strategy and by long term, I'd say, knowing what you are going to do and how you are going to do it, for at least five years into the future.

Clive, i know i've over looked this somewhere, but what was your first features name? and Where/how can i get it.

the the OP(original Poster) : Fill us in on if you get Brody and how it all goes down.

OKay to fill everyone in on things, no I have not contacted him yet....

I flew to Europe to meet the real doctor, I am basing this film around. A real brave guy now in his sixties... I have a screenwriter interested in Australia. So I want to make the script, really sound and appropriate...

Adrien Brody is/going to be filming King Kong, so I will wait a bit.... Possibly continue my film studies or something.... but I definatly want him in the film...

and this Doctor is pretty loaded so, getting him to invest might not be too difficult...

As I said, I would like to make sure the script is really strong, before I approch him on this....

I asked a few screenwriters/and novelist if done right, could this project float? The all said if done well, then it will do really well...

So my fingers are crossed.

You never know....

Glad to hear back from you, Jgewargis!

Getting the real person to finance a movie about his own life would generate some publicity, I imagine. Interesting idea.

Also bear in mind, that a person investing money in a movie telling the true story of their own life will... want to have a wee* say in how the story is told. :shock:

Good luck!
smiley_bounce.gif

*"wee" is an extremely relative term.

a new King Kong movie? or did you mean hes gonna be filming in Hong Kong?

I hope you get your project rolling, ill want to get a copy if you do :)

Yup, PJ is filming a re make of King Kong, his favorite movie, supposedly many of the LOTR cast and crew have been fighting for parts. Andy Serkis is the only one with a part as far as I know. (Motion capture for Kong, and I've heard another part as well)

1st Movie

Clive, i know i've over looked this somewhere, but what was your first features name? and Where/how can i get it.

The film is called No Place

We have now completed the standard def rough cut and start the online Hi-Def edit next week. The music soundtrack is being commissioned this week and the whole thing is going out to distibutors at the end of August.

I'll keep you all posted on any progress on securing distribution.

Thanks for asking!

The second feature, "Hellhole," is doing very well and will be going into production spring of 05.

Back