New girl from over-hot California

I'm here at indietalk because I love movies. Movies are, to me, the most magical and compelling form of art. I'm a huge structure nerd - I love to see how things work. I'm here to get a peek behind the curtain and to discuss/brainstorm what makes movies go.

Want to play? Discourse at me! Pick one or more questions from the list below and get on yer soapbox. =)

Who is the most underappreciated mainstream movie director?
Which movie has unforgettably creative and effective camera angles?
If you could work with one film score composer, who would you choose?
What is your favorite script and why?

Welcome.
I don't feel much for the characters, but Citizen Kane was definitely influential with its camera angles & cinematography.

I don't really have strong feelings for that, at the moment. I have some feelings for Nicolas Winding Refn (DRIVE, ONLY GOD FORGIVES). I think Jeff Nichols (MUD, MIDNIGHT SPECIAL) could qualify, if he had more films under his belt.

I would have to go with Frank Darabont (SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, GREEN MILE) being underappreciated, the past few years. He got off to such a strong start with his features, develeped THE WALKING DEAD, and then got squeezed out of it, early on. The show continues, several seasons after his departure, a lot based on the strength of who he cast and how he set it up, getting KNB, etc. I don't know why that man isn't being offered tentpole movie projects, but he has drifted into obscurity.

EVIL DEAD 2. Amazingly creative camera angles and moves, such as a camera on a two by four, thrust through the rear window of a car and continuing through the windshield. Sam Raimi repeated some of that magic in SPIDERMAN 2, during the hospital scene, where surgeons try to remove Doc Ock's tentacles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx3Xo2K910Q

Just to pick an interesting one, I'll say John Murphy. I loved his themes in the 28 DAYS/WEEKS LATER movies. His work on the sci-fi movie, SUNSHINE, is just brilliant and often used for commercials, movie trailers, the movie, KICK-ASS, and yes, even THE WALKING DEAD used this music from SUNSHINE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a52U8_e4Hw

Okay, the actual written script, right? This is going to be hugely subjective. If I was politically correct, I would say something like CHINATOWN or THE SIXTH SENSE (awesome). For my favorite and I'm stuck between two time travellers, BACK TO THE FUTURE and TERMINATOR 2. The first one has very clever turns. As for the written page, the latter has exposition to die for, like "His features are handsome, bordering on severe." Love that! I've read some notes on this and the motivations are very well thought out.

T2screenplay.jpg

Scoopic, epic reply! I watched your ETERNAL and I love how spare the speaking parts are - you really show rather than tell, and it's awesome.

I think it's telling that I don't recognize Frank Darabont although I love the two movies you mentioned. I wonder why he's not working more? Shawshank Redemption is an icon.

RE camera angles, oh look, you're right! Check out the angles starting at 1:00 or so in this clip from Evil Dead II:
https://youtu.be/SOpcdJ_V5_M Really drives home the growing insanity.

RE composer, I'd never heard of John Murphy, so thanks for the rec. I loved the music in the Sunshine trailer, so I think I'll try to rescore a scene in a Harry Potter movie using some of the methods I'm hearing in that - should be a fun project.

Edited to add: Project's done! Thanks for the inspiration. Here's the end result:
https://youtu.be/PBe4ra_QLN0

On to Terminator 2.
The writing in that script is super descriptive and elegant. "The lights flow over Terminator's wrap-around sunglasses like the tracks of tracer rounds." <---wow.

Last edited:
I watched your ETERNAL and I love how spare the speaking parts are - you really show rather than tell, and it's awesome.

Wow, thanks! A little background on that. When I first moved to Las Vegas, I was looking for work and I had a lot of bills, mainly from my first feature, THE BLACK CRYSTAL. It took me some time to regain my footing. My camera was broken, so I asked to borrow a friend's camera and I shot ETERNAL, with my brand new, pregnant wife. I didn't really have much in resources, just the new house and my new wife, so that became the movie and how I returned to filmmaking, after 5 years away from it.

I think it's telling that I don't recognize Frank Darabont although I love the two movies you mentioned. I wonder why he's not working more? Shawshank Redemption is an icon.

Yeah, he should be front and center, but is just doing some occasional series work. I haven't really researched what the deal is.

RE composer, I'd never heard of John Murphy, so thanks for the rec. I loved the music in the Sunshine trailer

You would probably recognize his music in this scene. It goes so well with this chase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVnz6hlC3pQ

so I think I'll try to rescore a scene in a Harry Potter movie using some of the methods I'm hearing in that

I'm impressed that you can do that, and in such a short time. My favorite part was the the triumphant build and fight, starting just before Harry wakes up.

I like making movie music. My most recent gig was for this slasher score:

POOL PARTY MASSACRE

Last edited:
Whoa, I've never seen 28 Weeks Later. That chase scene gives me all of the feels. What an impressive way to show character - super intense. I can totally hear the John Murphy-ness of the score; I'm impressed at how he manages to keep ratcheting up the intensity as the action increases more and more - great gradation of sound.

POOL PARTY MASSACRE - oh, wow. Lookit that setup! I'm envious! Now I have gear feels.

I like how uncluttered your music is, and how well you capture the dimensionality of the sound; I can really hear front/back/left/right and the panning is on point. Pretty sweet that you got a score shout-out in the review of THE BLACK CRYSTAL. =)

Are there any other director/musicians here on indietalk? Chime in if you want to discuss more about the intersection of music and filmmaking!

Support of Your Local Sheriff. It was a brilliant movie, hysterically funny and has the quickest wit ever delivered in my opinion. James Garner played the closest thing on screen to a real life Bugs Bunny.

Hi there, Goofy! Thanks for the rec. =) SHERIFF looks right up my alley- I love that kind of humor. A quick wit never fails to impress me.

It looks like all of the recommended movies so far - CITIZEN KANE, EVIL DEAD 2, and SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERRIFF are all available on Amazon Prime. *rubs hands together* I'm on vacation for another two weeks. Time for some movie watching...

Okay, Google, who is Adam McKay? *scans filmography* Oh. This is a guy who's made me laugh zillions of times.

You know, I still remember Antman fondly.

(Also, hi! And thank you! Your youtube channel looks awesome - I subscribed.)

Hi Wendy! Welcome to Indietalk! I'll answer all four.

Doug Liman

Birdman! That movie is orgasmic.

John Williams is the obvious answer, but I think I'll go with Danny Elfman.

Forrest Gump, because that movie is, in my opinion, the most accurate depiction of real life, in all its unpredictable madness, joy and sadness.

And what are your answers to these questions? Also, you MUST see 28 Days Later. It's my favorite horror film of all time.

Last edited:
Back