Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > IndieTalk > The Lounge

Old 01-10-2018, 09:59 PM   #16
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

The term "Most" in the title is seriously depressing, if this is what you experience in your area.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 01-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #17
Cracker Funk
Account Disabled

Wait, pizza for lunch every day is a complaint?! Hahahahaha, please sign me up for the job where I get pizza for lunch every day!
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #18
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

Supposedly Alfred Hitchcock himself hated production - he had already seen the film in his head, and making the film was donkeywork so everyone else could see it.
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:35 AM   #19
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

I'm pretty sure everyone hated filming revenant
also never begin a script with "EXT JUNGLE - NIGHT AND RAINING"
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:38 AM   #20
El Director
Basic Member

I love every stage of the process, so does everyone I work with. Never met anyone who makes movies and hates it. The only part I don't like as much is budgeting and scheduling. But I love the rest!
El Director is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:35 AM   #21
Cracker Funk
Account Disabled

Y'all are a bunch of liars, just admit it, lol. I ain't exactly a spring chicken and I've been on some pretty big productions on both coasts. I've met and worked with some filmmakers who truly loved what they were doing, and sadly, those people are the minority. Most of y'all walk around with sour look on your face all the time.
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:11 AM   #22
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

Well... I follow the advice of David Linch of transcendental meditation. I love my work.
Feutus Lapdance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #23
mussonman
Basic Member

For me, I hate writing (or at least everything past the initial ideas and discovery portion of writing)

I love production and sometimes feel like everything else is just an excuse to make this phase happen.

And I'm okay with editing. Sometimes I like it, sometimes it's very tedious. By then I just want to get back into the production phase
mussonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #24
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Funk View Post
Just let your hair down and be silly on set. That's probably the best way to make a profitable movie.
Profitable?

Okay there's miserable people in any job but usually these are jobs you don't want. Most people are in filmmaking because they want and love it. Sure some days you may be miserable, because shit happens. But I have not experienced this phenomenon you describe of most filmmakers hating their lives/jobs which is evident on a set. Maybe the director is just a dick? Maybe he loves his life. No idea. It's just very generalized, and I have not experienced the "phenomena," but you want to call us all liars.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #25
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

I don't meet a lot of miserable people that hate there job... I don't want to work with people that hate there job. Perhaps I have this magnet that deflects them...

I know this breakcore artist in Germany that claims the same thing. That everyone is hate's his live and is oppressed, and suffering..... Jeaaaa.... that will invite a lot of good people into your live.
Feutus Lapdance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #26
AcousticAl
Basic Member

I’m still confused by the pretense of the OP.

I’ve worked with crews from NY to LA and points inbetween, and this has never been my experience. I’ve been on specific shoots where things were miserable, usually under conditions imposed by a terrible producer (TV) or director (film), but the morale on set or location in those cases has nothing to do with people who hate what they do but with a crew fed up with a poorly-run production.

I have worked shoots where we were constantly running into meal penalties (and a crafty table that did not sustain), and shoots where the producer simply didn’t communicate with the crew and dragged us on with the only statement being something like “I know what I want this to look like, so just keep up with me”. I was even working one shoot, a cooking demo, where the only food served to the crew was what came off the set... including a dish during which the chef cut her finger and kept on working with the same knife, board, and ingredients. I did not eat that day. These are mostly TV shoots, and the films I have worked on were organized and well-run. I love what I do, but I do hate working on sloppy productions.

Perhaps you’ve just had an unfortunate string of bad experiences? But your assertion that “most” filmmakers hate their lives is a false premise.
AcousticAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #27
mussonman
Basic Member

I'd rather be at a crappy shoot than a dayjob
mussonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #28
buscando
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Funk View Post
I've met and worked with some filmmakers who truly loved what they were doing, and sadly, those people are the minority. Most of y'all walk around with sour look on your face all the time.
I thought you already admitted that the people on those productions probably just seemed unhappy to you cuz they weren't smiling. Are you back to saying they were truly unhappy?
buscando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #29
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Sometimes you have to look inward.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #30
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
Most of y'all walk around with sour look on your face all the time.
Kinda reminds me of an old meme.

Note: Not saying you're an a-hole.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote