Live Feed an Playback on Set

Live Feed and Playback on Set

A friend and I, along with a small production team are looking at producing a feature film using 2 black magic URSA mini cameras. We will be recording 4K footage onto CFast cards but we are looking at having some kind of livefeed playback option onsite for the director to view. The only option we can currently find is something along the lines of the BlackMagic Ultrastudio but seeing as we will only be using footage recorded on the CFast cards for post production work, quality of the playback/livefeed isn't really of great importance. I was wondering if you knew of any slightly more budget way of achieving a system similar to this.

Many thanks in advance :)

Dan

Last edited:
I just wrapped a production several months ago. We were running the full size URSA and simply ran an SDI cable from the camera to an external monitor. We did the same with our B-cam (4K production cam). Of course, this only allows for livefeed. The operator would have to go back into the camera and run a playback from there for the director.

One issue we encountered with the URSA (not sure if they fixed it with the Mini version), was when we would do a playback, and later dump the footage, we discovered that the footage around the moment we did the playback would either corrupt, or split the frame into thirds, switching what was normally our left side of frame over to the middle, the middle to the right, right to the left, etc.

Back