• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do you think for scripts?

Hello!
I'm a filmer who also writes his own scripts yet I cant think of anything that would be good in a video.
so my question is how do you think for your scripts?

I find it impossible to stop thinking. I've tried before.
It gives rise to disassociation.. because if I'm actively trying not to think but still getting bombarded by thoughts.. well then I'm not really creating those thoughts I'm just subject to them.

Every creative person needs to find their own way. For many it's getting away from whatever it is that they are doing for a time, even if it's only an hour or two. Experience new things to pull yourself out of your rut. Collaborate with others, there's nothing like a fresh perspective. Do exactly the opposite of what you "always" do - for example, if you write horror write something aimed at preschoolers; if you write drama, try your hand at comedy. (Yes, it may turn out like trash, but at least it's different from all your other trash.)

You can try creative games. As a musician I always liked using playing cards or the Mozart dice game. Back in the late 80's I discovered two books fun books; A Whack On The Side Of The Head and A Kick In The Seat Of The Pants; the accompanying playing cards were a lot of fun ("reverse it," "make it blue," "throw it away," "stand on your head," etc.). Or you can try the "Random Method" where you turn on the TV, radio, whatever, and you MUST write about the very first thing that you hear ("On Monday morning, then..."). Or pick names out of the phone book and write character descriptions and vignettes.

A bit like sfoster, I find that I always have an influx of 'thoughts' in moments I don't really want them (usually when I'm trying to sleep, I'm at work, out for dinner with a friend - moments I can't act on them). When I'm actively trying to think of *ideas* nothing seems to come to me. I try to keep a notebook on me whereever I am, for when I have these ideas. A musician I liked did an interview, where he said he believed that to be creative, he had to be bored so his mind would wander. I think I'm the same - but everyone is different. I said this to a friend who paints and is heavily involved in theatre, and she said she has to actively get her brain moving into creative spaces.

If I'm stuck and wanting to write something, I'll give myself (or get someone to give me) a bunch of random constraints - e.g. 2 characters, 1 location, a hammer must play a key part. Restrictions helps me be creative. It is also good to pay attention to things that happen around you - do any of these things seem like part of a good story? If you're feeling a certain *thing* in your life, try find an abstract way of expressing that through film. All my work comes from personal experience, but it's abstracted to the point that even the people who know me best don't notice that. It tends to become a very tangential relationship to my life.

Getting out of the house is very important (for me). Just today, I went and grabbed a coffee. In that hour, I achieved more on my current project than I have in my home for the last 12.

Last edited:
Hello!
I'm a filmer who also writes his own scripts yet I cant think of anything that would be good in a video.
so my question is how do you think for your scripts?

My first question is: what videos have you made before?
Where did that idea come from?
What is your way of getting ideas? What do you do? How much time do spend on it every time?

There are many roads leading to Rome, but not every road is for everyone.

I just get ideas from everything.
To become inspired one could live life to ingest impressions, opinions, views, sights, to get annoyed, to 'fall in love' with a person, event, building, tree, a dish, a drink, the feeling of the sea touching your feet, whatever, to wonder 'what if', to laugh, to discuss, to enrich the mind and your memories.

And you need to take the time to get into an open state of mind where you can linger and think about ideas without being distracted. The closed state of mind is the state of mind where you are occupied by the thing you have to do. It's a productive state of mind, but not a creative one :P

That's why C&C gets ideas when in lying in bed: the mind becomes calmer and gets space to wonder.

John Cleese explaines it very well:
https://vimeo.com/89936101

I usually get ideas when I think of ones that I think would be fascinating. For example, I was reading about some of the bounty hunting laws in the old west recently, and that gave me an idea for western story idea, compared to bounty hunting in modern times, which is much more different today compared to back then.

I found the difference of laws fascinating, which is what gave me an idea. But that's just an idea though, I am still way behind in developing to a full feature length script. Plus I don't know if I would want to since I don't think I have the budget for a western, nor would a lot of people may not want to see one shot for such a low amount of money compared to most. I mean how many indie westerns are there out there lol.

But I went off on a tangent. My point is I get ideas from scenarios or I find fascinating, which can be used as premises, if that makes sense.

I find that I always have an influx of 'thoughts' in moments I don't really want them (usually when I'm trying to sleep, I'm at work, out for dinner with a friend - moments I can't act on them)
On my home desk, I've got a pile of loose short notes, that I made at work :yes:

If there is a specific problem with a script, the solution to it often comes in my mind when I am in the bathroom. I guess that's because I am not thinking about it then (like the others said already).

But finding new ideas and deciding, which one is good, is tough. I often dig up old ideas, which I did not develop. Sometimes, I pick out parts and add them to my recent script

Back