• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Doors In The Labyrinth - Winter (WIP)

created and using it as a music video, but really it's more experimental. Work in progress (second draft); there are still a few things I'd like to tweak, but wanted to see what other people thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfBIO7knjq4

The plan is to do a full length experimental film based on the album, which you can and should download for free at http://doorsinthelabyrinth.bandcamp.com

you have some cool shots in there, but they are muddled by the constant usage of the static tv effect. try doing only moments of the static TV overlay, or at least make it not so dominant. it makes the whole image really mid-key which is not interesting visually. just beef up the good shots you already have and try going a little easier on the static tv thing. just my thoughts. show us when the film is complete!

Thanks for watching and for the feedback! I'm going for a sort of artfilm type approach...what I'm going for with the static is the idea of looking out a window during a snowstorm...you catch glimpses of the landscape outside, but that gets muddled with things you think you see; memories and distortions. Mirroring the way the vocals are only sometimes distinguishable in the song, with tv static as, well, a pretty obvious metaphor.

So I guess the question would be how to communicate the concept better without being too heavy handed (opening on a windowframe, zooming in until all you can see is the static would spell it out, I think, but might be a little much). If the overall mid-key-ness of it is visually boring (though, again, fitting the music is key and it's pretty blurry/subtle), maybe I can blend some more extreme dark/contrast bits in?

Experiment #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shqCsd_c1zo

A little more heavy-handed in terms of the visual metaphors. Any thoughts?

Very cool, Josh.

Winter:

I think I dig what you're trying to do with the TV static effect. I think my opinion differs from WO's in that I think it works fine through the entirety of the video. At the same time, considering WO's input, if I were to consider trying some version of what s/he suggests, it might be something like as follows. Not recommending that you should do it. I don't know what you should do, really. But, along the lines of what WO said about beefing up your good shots, what if you, I'm not sure how to articulate this, beefed up only parts or bits of the images in your shots/compositions with stronger, deeper color here, or a little more clarity there?

Hey, easy for me to say. I don't know if you can do that with the software, or how easy or difficult that would be to do. So, with a grain of salt, I'm sure.

So like with the shots of those trees with the stronger greens of their leaves that first appear around 2:14-ish. Visually, I'm thinking of something like what they did with the colorized little girl with her red coat in Schindler's List. Sort of. But muted by the snow. What would it look like if you tried something like that? Would that even fit the aesthetic you're going for, though?

And isn't that sort of what we experience visually and perceptually in the real world? When something or someone comes closer to us through or from out of a snow shower? But maybe that would be incompatible with your vision.

Also, have you ever played around with those particle effects things in software like After Effects? How would that work, as opposed to the TV static effect? Since you're going for the feel of looking out through a snow shower, would that be an interesting alternative? Or, how about shooting a real snow fall and transposing it over the rest?

Just ideas. Maybe bad ideas.

It's fine they way it is. These are art pieces, right? So really, I think your vision should come first.

The Purpose of the Ritual:

Don't worry. At least in my case, the "heavy-hand" visual metaphors are over my head. I liked it. But just to try to give you something more than a "I liked it," I suppose I might wonder what it would be like if it were even more trippy. Which is to say, my sense of it at the moment is that these things seem to make more of an impression when they're really trippy...man. But you have to be going for really trippy to want that. Anyway, nah, it's cool the way it is. =)

Last edited:
Thanks for watching/listening, richy! Kinda funny you should mention the tree shot in Winter, since that's the one I've been working with making more distinct! The straight lines make the eventual warps and morphs a little more clear too, which I think reinforces the overall meaning of the piece.

Glad you liked The Purpose...I'm pretty proud of it (though I think there are still some little tweaks that could be made). It occured to me that I can link the "modifyer" of all these videos sequentially, so that they flow a little better. So the song before will have a lot of fire imagery (appropriate, as it's called "Solace II: Inferno"), but rather than the images behind the fire, the fire will be the image that is behind a different filter/layer (and play with the "trippy" image suggestion that you had). And the video after can play off the church imagery and use stained glass/windows as a modifyer. Overall I'm hoping to give the impression of seeing through one world into a next, and then moving into that world (while still preserving the individual symbolism and visual metaphors). And the first song on the album will hopefully introduce that idea to the viewer so the rest makes sense.

I like the particle suggestion too, so I'll see if I can work that in. I don't have After Effects...I've done everything so far with a really outdated version of Vegas and free stock footage/photos. I'm hoping to work some lo-fi cellphone footage in at some point, since that's really the only thing I have in the way of a camera! It's been an interesting challenge using that limitation and still creating something that has meaning and intent. And hopefully, even if people who see it don't "get" everything I'm trying to communicate, it makes them think a little bit.

I'll post more here as I have them! Thanks again for watching!

Overall I'm hoping to give the impression of seeing through one world into a next, and then moving into that world (while still preserving the individual symbolism and visual metaphors). And the first song on the album will hopefully introduce that idea to the viewer so the rest makes sense.

Hey, I really like that.

Yeah, I don't know if the particle thing would give you what you want, anyway. I don't know, but I think there are cheaper programs that might help you, if you wanted to explore it. But, I think they're still not cheap. Is it Hitfilm, for example, that's supposed to work with Vegas? But still not what I would call cheap.

Eager to see more videos from this album.

Rough drafts continue! Track 7 (follows Winter):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm11yMUmMHw

I think I need to replace the opening shot with the shot of the trees from the Winter video to sell the connection a little better.

Very cool. Interesting and effective visuals for the music. Cool title, too. And so far they all seem to fit nicely together.

It's been a while, working on other things, but still thinking about and working on this. First draft of another song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvuXCWNYf8

And as far as tracklisting and how they're supposed to flow:
6 - Winter
7 - The Name on the Wind
8 - Solace II: Inferno
9 - The Purpose of the Ritual

I should have 10 and 11 done in the next couple weeks as well. I'm not quite finding what I want for 5 yet, but I'll get there eventually.

...and by next couple of weeks, I meant months. Blarg. Anyway, track 10, rough draft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCFKiB3Fv7Q

Not going to meet my goal of finishing it by the end of the year (too many other projects, and I only get to work on this during "down time"), but I should be ready to use these as projections when I start playing live again in the spring.

I should mention all the images and source videos are public domain or free for reuse (I've been pretty careful about that). I'm tracking sources and will include credits when the entire thing is finished.

Back