Terra Nova trailer

Did you guys see this one. It looks like it could be good. It is like Jurassic Park with time travel.

"From executive producers Steven Spielberg, Peter Chernin, René Echevarria and Brannon Braga comes an epic family adventure 85 million years in the making."-Fox

http://www.fox.com/terranova/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6aNEIZwPFc

Last edited:
Actually it is a new TV series. I remember hearing the rumors about a Jurassic Park TV series I think this is what came of those rumors. It is coming this fall to Fox.

http://www.fox.com/terranova/

"TERRA NOVA follows an ordinary family on an incredible journey back in time to prehistoric Earth as a small part of a daring experiment to save the human race. In the year 2149, the world is dying. The planet is overdeveloped and overcrowded, with the majority of plant and animal life extinct. The future of mankind is in jeopardy, and its only hope for survival is in the distant past.
When scientists unexpectedly discovered a fracture in time that made it possible to construct a portal into primeval history, the bold notion was born to resettle humanity in the past – a second chance to rebuild civilization and get it right this time."-fox

Last edited:
There is an excellent article in MIX Magazine about doing the audio post on Terra Nova. One of the things that gave me a laugh was the Mike Graham (Supervising Sound Editor) and Rich Steele (Sound Designer) were told that the dinosaurs were not - repeat, NOT - supposed to sound like Jurassic Park dinosaurs. Their response to each other was "but isn't that the way they're supposed to sound?" or something like that. Jurassic Park is so ingrained that we accept it as gospel (in fact the Discovery and History Channel "Dino Docs" all use the Jurassic Park sound libraries or create the vocalizations with the same well documented processes, which further reinforces the stereotype). They had to start from scratch and think out of the box, so the Terra Nova dinosaurs should be quite unique. There is also more interaction between the characters and the plant eaters, and the director and producers wanted the plant eaters to "sound more friendly" among other things.

Here's the article:

http://www.mixonline.com/post/features/terra_nova/

I saw a long-form trailer in the theater and also thought it was a movie. I normally don't go in for TV shows until I've heard some reviews, but I'm totally looking forward to catching the premiere tomorrow.

Especially since Brannon Braga says this show is the closest writing to Star Trek that he's done. I hope he's not lying :)

I really enjoyed the premiere. It was intense and kind of strikes me as a little bit like Lost but with a definite Sliders vibe. It's like Lost in that there is a lot of mystery being set up (who are the good guys, who are the bad guys, or are either of them good or bad at all?). And it's straight-up sci-fi, which is awesome to see on network primetime. The CG is really cool, not so much the dinosaurs, which are really good considering the time constraints they must be under to make the show, but where it shines is in the imagining of the technology of the 'future.'

Also, it's a wonderful blend of Distopian future with Utopian human ideals. It would seem that on Terra Nova it's cool to be smart and like science, which I think is a great message.

Anyway that's my sort-of review of last nights show. Did anyone else catch it?

The first 30 minutes was good. Nice pacing. Cool "Blade Runner" effects.

Then it gradually started to stink.

There was some wince-inducing bad writing in that show that Brannon Braga should have quashed. Many scenes are laden with expository dialog delivered in the most ham-handed way possible, and come across as sophomoric. Plus, every ten minutes there occurs some heart-warming family interaction scene, just in case we forgot it was a Spielberg production.

I really have no more tolerance, or time, for crap TV writing. After years of excellent work in shows like "Dexter," "Rome," "Six Feet Under," "Mad Men," "Lost," "Walking Dead," "Deadwood," and "Game of Thrones" how can audiences be expected to sit through effects-driven mediocrity?

Next!

I found Terra Nova to be BORING, largely due to the typical, horrible made-for-TV dialogue and weak plot with cardboard characters and their easily 'no-surprise' character arcs. The basic concept of going into the 'past' for humanity's survival (and yeah, I caught the time-stream alternate-universe push-pull aspect) was okay, but nothing new. As with most TV science-fiction, very derivative. I watched the whole 2 hour premiere episode (flipping to Dallas/Washington NFL during commercials).

Sorry FOX. Terra Nova is no Breaking Bad or TRUE BLOOD or Sons of Anarchy or Game of Thrones or Boardwalk Empire. Terra Nova is a flashy CGI graphics/animation with typical-sitcom-drama-dreek-dialogue. Fodder for the FOX viewers. You get a grade of F (for FOX). Waste of money and talent. The script sucks royal ! Start over. Buy one of my scripts...

I forgot it was on last night and plan to watch it once the stream is on the internet. I was a little worried that the acting and plot would not be that good. From the trailer the special effects looked great. I liked the concept. I will have to watch it just to see how it is. Not having Jeff Goldblum probably did not help it.

I just saw that you can download the First episode for free on Itunes. I am working on downloading it now.

Last edited:
Looks incredibly bland and cheesy to me.

If you want awesome TV series watch these:
- Spooks (UK)
- Hustle (UK)
- Life on Mars (UK VERSION NOT THE HORRID US REMAKE)
- Generation Kill (US HBO)
- Rush (AUSTRALIA)
- Strikeback (UK)

Looks incredibly bland and cheesy to me.

If you want awesome TV series watch these:
- Spooks (UK)
- Hustle (UK)
- Life on Mars (UK VERSION NOT THE HORRID US REMAKE)
- Generation Kill (US HBO)
- Rush (AUSTRALIA)
- Strikeback (UK)

You're not making fair comparisons. The only show you listed that even approaches sci-fi is Life on Mars, and even that is debatable. Those are good shows you listed(at least the ones I've seen), but there is a severe lack of quality sci-fi on television. The pilot for Terra Nova wasn't great, but I do see potential in the series. I'll at least give it a few more episodes before writing it off.

Back