How do you value full-on DSLR feature films?

Couldn't give a toss, tbh.

A good film is a good film, regardless of what it was shot on.

true. Festen is one of the best films i've ever seen and it was shot on a handheld camera. funny haha is another interesting film that looks and sounds like cr*p yet i liked it alot...story is everything.

I would suggest that the majority of feature films will be shot mainly on DSLRs in the near future years. They're the way people are going, easy to use, small, and best of all... Cheap. Companies like "Red" are making DSLRs more professional and "cinema-like".
I know as a 14 year old indy film maker, at the present, I can't even remotely come close to affording a Film camera, as is the same for a mojority of indy filmmakers, that's what stands us apart. I like to see films shot with DSLRs, so I can see on a personal level, what I, myself can accomplish at my young age and budget. Yes, I love to see finished products shot in film to see what I will be handling if I make it into the big leagues, but as of right now, DSLRs are whats in, especially for independent film groups.

I would suggest that the majority of feature films will be shot mainly on DSLRs in the near future years. They're the way people are going, easy to use, small, and best of all... Cheap. Companies like "Red" are making DSLRs more professional and "cinema-like".
I know as a 14 year old indy film maker, at the present, I can't even remotely come close to affording a Film camera, as is the same for a mojority of indy filmmakers, that's what stands us apart. I like to see films shot with DSLRs, so I can see on a personal level, what I, myself can accomplish at my young age and budget. Yes, I love to see finished products shot in film to see what I will be handling if I make it into the big leagues, but as of right now, DSLRs are whats in, especially for independent film groups.

There's a difference between DSLRs and Digital Cinema cameras. DSLRs are things like the Canon 5D Mark II and the Panasonic GH2 (although technically that one isn't a DSLR, because it doesn't have a mirror). Digital Cinema cameras are things like the Reds and Arri Alexa. They're completely not in the same class. Digital Cinema cameras are many thousands of dollars (starting at around $25k right now, though Red is supposed to be releasing a sub-$10k version before the new year), while DSLRs are all under $5k.

There's a difference between DSLRs and Digital Cinema cameras. DSLRs are things like the Canon 5D Mark II and the Panasonic GH2 (although technically that one isn't a DSLR, because it doesn't have a mirror). Digital Cinema cameras are things like the Reds and Arri Alexa. They're completely not in the same class. Digital Cinema cameras are many thousands of dollars (starting at around $25k right now, though Red is supposed to be releasing a sub-$10k version before the new year), while DSLRs are all under $5k.

Yes, I knew that, I didn't mean that movies will be shot on DSLRs like canon. But so many movies have already gone digital and will stay that way.
I should have worded the initial post differently.

Back