My New Angle

I've kinda posted stuff on other sites promoting myself for film work. And I've gotten some: but it never really paid. The filmmakers said they'd get me copies of the final cut, but I've yet to see anything. And it's just too much work for a "thank you."

I decided to take a new angle, and give one of my scores to a professional orchestra and see if they'd play it. Then at least I could hear it played live. Thought that would be almost as good as doing a movie.

So I e-mailed a link to some audio of a score I just finished to an orchestra here in Chicagoland. And, guess what? The director asked for a CD and full score to study. Just dropped it off to the executive director today.

So wish me luck, and thanks for any comments

Here's a link to the audio:

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/default.cfm?bandID=498460&content=music

"Beauty Creek- Final Cut" 7 min.

EWQSO Gold Pro Patches
Finale midi, Sonar 7 Audio

that's kind of exciting! I played classical violin for 8 years and know the difference between feeling a room filled with music and having it played on a computer/cd player.

Thanks for listening, Will.

So when do you guys start thinking about music for your films, what do you do? Surf for duty free stuff til you find something you like, import it into Vegas and mess around? Find a composer, give him a script and notes? Give the composer an mpeg of some footage and have him go at it? Call TAXI?

If I was a indie filmmaker with a no budget film, I think I'd get all the free stuff I could find that was already written. If I had an extra 50 bucks, I'd surf the net and find someone who's music ALREADY sounded like something I wanted to use, and ask him to write more of the same. And I'd call him personally at least once too, not just crappy e-mails.

I think giving a little footage with foley is sweet. We music guys love importing video into Sonar or Protools and sliding audio around.

Just wondered what you guys did.

Andy

Andy- What a good idea, to contact a local orchestra. As a composer with a lot of ideas in the file cabinet, I'm inspired to do the same. Hope they played it well.

Boyd Gaffney
Productiontrax.com
Royalty Free Music and Sound Effects, Stock Footage, and Multimedia Conten

I'm actually having a live meeting with the conductor this wed..

This stuff is a little more complicated than I thought. Orchestras have their programs set almost a year in advance, and your music has to fit into the concept or theme they have for their performance. They also often have "stars" as guests. This one's having Shirley Jones do her show tunes for mother's day next year, and they also have instrumentalist guest artists doing their thing. It's hard to get programmed. Luckily, this guy thought my stuff would fit into a patriotic American show they're doing.

Also, you have to be sure your score is perfect and totally playable, and that the instrumentation matches up with the orchestra. They have only a few rehearsals per show, so they only have a short time to work on your piece. It's alot harder than I thought.

Plus, I've got to extract all the part scores... Ugh

Andy

Back