Make a music video for your portfolio. (With total artistic freedom.)

Hi!

https://soundcloud.com/city-nights-tracks/sets/cnt01-take-me-home-traffic-on

Choose whichever song you prefer, and send us your idea and links to samples of your work.

You get:

1. Complete artistic freedom! Yay!

2. Self-promotion.

4. 100,000 views on YouTube. (If the stars align just right. They probably won't.)

3. No Money, probably*

*'Cause we ain't makin' any, not with an oversaturated market and a climate of poor musical taste. If we sell any tunes, we'll give you a cut, BUT--sales are going to be dismal, in all likelihood.

Kind regards,

http://www.citynightstracks.info/

Please reply directly to:
citynightstracks[at]gmail[dot]com

As much as you may think it's a "nice idea", your thread's title and premise are somewhat questionable. I'm becoming a bit of an advocate for artist's interests and it's not making me any friends, but when I read these kinds of posts I feel obliged to explain a few things. In a friendly way of course, but still, I feel it has to be said.

You can't say to someone "you get exposure in return for your work", that's not yours to give and is inseparable from any work someone does. Exposure is not a currency, not something to trade for work done. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to tell people their work will be seen by 100k people but it's -how- you say it that's important. You should say from the start "this is not a paid job" (in some way or another) and that you'd appreciate any help you can get.

For someone to do a good job it will take a lot of their time and a lot of effort, you should be warm, thankful, friendly. This thread is cold, from my perspective I find it rude as you're assuming what you're offering is a good enough exchange, plus it's condescending ("creative freedom, yay!") because you're not offering to help, just hoping someone will do it all for you. Let me help you by redrafting it for you:

______

Hi all, were a band/group from X and we're hoping to find someone who can give us some help. We're looking to make a music video for one of our songs (we're happy to let you choose one) and we'd be glad to help in any way we can. If you want to do your own thing with a song then you're welcome to do so too. You see, here what I did is gave the person creative freedom while keeping you involved enough for them to feel like you are genuinely interested in getting this done. Nobody wants to work for free unless they feel like their work will be appreciated and will help them out some way too.

We expect our video will get around 100k views and we're happy to give you a portion of sales from the album/song if we make some. We have no guaranties we will, but if we do we will cut you in.
We appreciate this is a lot of work and apologise that we can't offer more. The music industry is flooded as of right now but we think that our music is worth it and with your help it can stand out among the masses. Make them feel valuable, give the project value (100k views, possible income) and show you have a heart.

You can get in touch with us with this e-mail address X@Y.com
Many thanks.
Your name.

____

I hope this helps you get someone and I hope it makes you realise what you're really asking.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Back