Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Classified Ads > Industry Jobs and Services > Global Ad

Old 09-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #46
brianluce
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate North View Post
A: Y I'm curious why you think I'd shoot myself in the foot and turn on my friends at first opportunity. What is it that make your thoughts turn in that direction? .
Because I don't know you from Jesus and I'm not naive. As Tennessee William said, "The world is lit by lightning". Not to mention, the parsed language used in your ad which is always a red flag.

Okay, more quesitons:

I still don't get this. All the participants will stay in the house and make their own separate reels while you're outside networking to get them paying jobs?
Are the 7 reels promos for Deathworld AND self promos? A two birds with one stone thing?
And it almost sounds as if the jobs you'll be attempting to provide for the 7 housemates aren't related to Deathworld, or are they? And if the jobs aren't related to Deathworld, what's the point of having them in the house since they won't have time for Deathworld?
brianluce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 09-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #47
PaulGriffith
Basic - Premiere Expired

Nothing sounds too strange here to me.

1. Pay your (cheap for Cali) rent.

2. Work preproduction on a feature that you're investing in and are part owner of, while building a team of filmmakers.

3. If there is video work in the meantime, do it together to help pay the rent and build the team.

Honestly, it's not for me at this point in life either, but if the situation were different I'd probably jump on it.

Good luck with it guys!

PS: I did get to meet Nate at NAB in April and had lunch with him. He seems like a solid guy who wants to make movies and is doing his best to make a practical way to get a foot in the door.

I'll be following the Deathworld updates fo sho.
PaulGriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #48
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

Paul, you pretty much nailed it. And thanks for the well-wishes!

Brian, I'll try my best to clear up anything up, and answer your questions. First, though, I think it's worth noting that if there is any wording in the ad, that you find suspicious, then Nate's only crime is in not choosing his words more carefully. Besides Paul's account of having lunch with him, there are three people in this thread who have had extensive phone conversations with Nate -- myself, SinEater, and wheatgrinder. All three of us have reached the same conclusion -- that Nate is on the up-and-up, and this is a very exciting project.

Okay, to answer your questions -- no, we will not be working on commercial work, and "Deathworld", simultaneously. The ultimate goal is "Deathworld". But that is an expensive project, and requires funding. If Nate secures that funding, then we work exclusively on "Deathworld". If the funding for "Deathworld" doesn't come through (or if it takes a while), then we look to take on whatever commercial projects we can get, so that we can pay rent.

The reels that each person is able to take out of this experience, would be from whatever work we have done, from commercial work, or "Deathworld", or whatever. Hypothetically, somebody might want to shoot some additional stuff, solely for the purpose of their reel, but I can't imagine that'd be necessary.

The reason(s) for having everyone in the same house are the same, whether we are doing "Deathworld", or commercial projects. Reason #1 -- it eliminates the cost of renting a separate space for the home-base of this production company. Reason #2 -- everyone who is joining the team is interested in a very intense work schedule, and being together will help facilitate that.

If you still have questions, I'd say Paul's succinct summary, above, is about all the info you need to understand it. The only thing Paul didn't completely get right is that he said we're all investing in "Deathworld", whereas we actually won't be doing "Deathworld", unless we get funding for it.

A page or two back, wheatgrinder also posted a very informative message, explaining why someone might want to do this.

The bottom line is that if anyone is contemplating doing this, they should call Nate. All you have to lose is a phone call.
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #49
Nate North
Basic Member

I'd like to thank Cracker, Wheat, and Paul for their kind words, and for being here to help explain some of this at times when I have to be away from the forums to attend to the many tasks associated with this undertaking.

They have encapsulated well what needed to be said here.

I'd like to specifically reinforce that last comment. Working in the advertising industry for several years may have made my dialogue come off as a bit commercial, but if you talk to me on the phone for a while, or meet me in person, I think you'll see a different side. All I can do is make myself available for that, afterwards, it's up to you.

Last edited by Nate North; 09-30-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Nate North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #50
Nate North
Basic Member

While this has been a rousing discussion, we've kind of strayed from an important topic, which is, would anyone else like to consider filling the one remaining slot?

We have only about 15 days left to pay our initial move in cost, so it's important that I hear from people that have an interest in actually joining, as well as the devil's advocate types.

As far as Brian's question about the reels, it's seriously the least of our problems. We'll be producing tons of footage, and there will be more than enough to go around for demo reels. In addition I don't see a problem with individuals shooting their own specific reels on the weekends. Overall, there will be no difficulty whatsoever in coming out of this project with a professional reel.

In terms of this being some kind of scheme, I'd say investing over 80k of my own cash to get someone to rent a room for 700 bucks seems like a pretty poor quality scheme. If I wanted to be a dishonest person that took large sums of money for virtually no reason and hurt those around me for profit, I'd just try to pass the California bar exam.

Sorry for the double post, but this thread got dragged way off topic, and was dying off from lost focus without achieving it's original goal.

As far as the important question posed earlier, "what makes you think you can do this" it's a complex answer. It has a lot more to do with business and money than it does with film. Short answer, it's because in time I can make a case for the overall project as a profitable scenario for large investors, and because I have some access to these investors when the time comes.

Last edited by Nate North; 09-30-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #51
Rob Ellis
Basic Member

I will broadcast the opportunity through my 12k followers on Twitter and find a very qualified person for the last opening, if noone jumps on in the next few hours from here. It's too good an opportunity to be wasted on those needing convincing.
Rob Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #52
bird
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ellis View Post
I will broadcast the opportunity through my 12k followers on Twitter and find a very qualified person for the last opening, if noone jumps on in the next few hours from here. It's too good an opportunity to be wasted on those needing convincing.
Not the best PR spin, here.

Indietalkers are very interested in Nate's project. I know I will be following Deathworld's progress quite closely. Seems like he's gotten some very good responses and commitments from fellow Indietalkers. Some of us just aren't in the position to contribute, either because of our own huge projects or personal reasons. I wish him the best and think he's attempting something few have attempted before. Kudos to him.

Just curious, but what is the last position to be filled?
bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #53
Nate North
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird View Post
Not the best PR spin, here.

Indietalkers are very interested in Nate's project. I know I will be following Deathworld's progress quite closely. Seems like he's gotten some very good responses and commitments from fellow Indietalkers. Some of us just aren't in the position to contribute, either because of our own huge projects or personal reasons. I wish him the best and think he's attempting something few have attempted before. Kudos to him.

Just curious, but what is the last position to be filled?
I think Rob's just having a rough couple of days, like many of us he's very enthusiastic about the project, and like myself doesn't understand some of the negativity directed towards our offer.

Personally I really appreciate the support of many people on this forum that have either joined outright, or voiced their support or interest.

There are 2 positions still available, though trueindie is a tentative on one of them, and a local is talking about renting the last room as an office space, so those interested may wish to speak up soon.

The two positions we need filled the worst are, Sound design/production sound, and set design. It might be worth noting however that individuals will not be permanently constrained to one job and that roles are somewhat flexible. Because this is an indie film community, most incoming members fall squarely into the "jack of all trades" category, and we'll try to make that into an asset as opposed to a liability.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #54
Nate North
Basic Member

Time is getting very short on this, so if anyone is interested, you have about 10 days to get in on this. Things are going very well with the project, and I think this could very well be one of the best opportunities you will find to start working and training with a fully equipped film crew on serious jobs. Should be really fun also, we have a great group of people already.

Inquire via phone at 408-676-6479
Old 10-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #55
Dreadylocks
Basic - Premiere Expired

If my life circumstances were different, I'd be on this like white on rice. Alas...

Best of luck to you guys, though! I look forward to keeping an eye on the project.
Dreadylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:30 AM   #56
harpsichoid
Basic Member

Those new commercials are incredible. Are you any closer to making a decision on those remote positions?
harpsichoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #57
CamVader
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadylocks View Post
If my life circumstances were different, I'd be on this like white on rice. Alas...

Best of luck to you guys, though! I look forward to keeping an eye on the project.
I'm with you...if only this was at a different time. I'll also be watching with a keen/jealous eye.
CamVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #58
Nate North
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadylocks View Post

Thanks Dready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpsichoid View Post
Those new commercials are incredible. Are you any closer to making a decision on those remote positions?
We think we could use you, joshL, and several others, wheat is definitely in. We are actually trying to figure out the logistics and contracts to let way more people in. I'll get back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatgrinder View Post
This thread is a GOOD thing. Ask more questions, particularly DirectoRick.
Nate your coming off a bit defensive, and thats understandable but its still feels negative.

From talking with Nate he is perfectly willing to answer the hard questions.

Here are a few hard questions:

What makes you, Nate, think you can pull this off?

Have you secured the option to the script?

Do you have some PROOF that Harry Harrison is your bud?

How will you pay the rent in February? March?

I'll be honest, pulling this off is far from a sure thing, and it will depend on a variety of factors. In general what I can say for sure is that we have a fighting chance, and that we are starting from an above par base with Harry involved, and with the materials we have already developed.

We have secured the option.

I sent you proof that Harry and I are connecting.

As we get into february and march the likelyhood of having and income stream is dramatically increased, rather than decreased. The risky months are december and January. If we can make it 105 days, we can make it the year. One of the major issues is the deposit, which I could only pay about half of. That will put serious financial strain on us at the time we can afford it the least. I'm trying right now to borrow that money longer term, and if I can do that, we can be stable at a very reasonable income per person.

We still have 2 slots available, and we really need these types

CGI artist
Production sound/foley/ambient design
Set design/model builders
grips

If I had to pick the one type we need the most it would be a sound guy. I can do it myself and am equipped, but I'm already pretty stacked with responsibilities, so it would be a huge help to have a dedicated audio tech.