Good production/royalty free music sites?

Hey guys I'm looking for sites that have production music/royalty-free music.
I'm making a conman/heist film and I'm looking for cool jazzy music similar to that in Ocean's Eleven and the tv show Hu$tle.
Any sites that have production/royalty free music would be great!
Thanks!

There are lots of talented composers here on IndieTalk and elsewhere who could do a nice score or even just a track or two for you....

There's also SoundDogs.com.

www.SmartSound.com has a cool set of features for adding high-impact royalty free music to your project. We are the only ones with this patented process that makes the music the exact length that you want. Most of the music also comes with each instrument on a separate track so you can arrange the sound to fit your project. It works great, and saves a bunch of time.

Last edited:
Why royalty free?

Royalties to a composer do not come out of the film makers pocket.

Why royalty free? Because I'm a student making this film on a budget of literally about $50 I kid you not! And all the 'mainstream' tracks cost thousands of dollars and literally tonnes legalities go along with them

Thanks for the reccomendations so far guys!

Why royalty free? Because I'm a student making this film on a budget of literally about $50 I kid you not! And all the 'mainstream' tracks cost thousands of dollars and literally tonnes legalities go along with them

Thanks for the reccomendations so far guys!

I’m not sure of the mainstream places you are talking about but royalties are not complicated unless those companies are making up their own license rules. You should be able to get licensed music without having to pay recurring costs. Royalties for music in film and TV are paid by the broadcaster not the film maker. Those royalties are collected by Performance Rights Organizations not the film maker. All the film maker has to do is fill out a cue sheet which if you are to be broadcast is something you would need to fill out whether the music is royalty free or not.

If you are submitting a film to a film festival you will also need to fill out a cue sheet whether the music is royalty free or not. I don’t know of any festival that excludes films because the music in them is not royalty free and no royalties are collected for the music on films shown in the U.S and in Australia a film need to generate over 1 million at the box office before it gets on APRA’s radar.

If you sell DVD copies of your film you do not pay a music royalty. The default position is no music royalty collected on DVD sales just soundtrack CD’s.

I had a look on the audiosparx website and found these tracks using an oceans 11 search. http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/search/home_srchpost.cfm
Around the $100 range but you might find something good there.

My advice would be to not restrict yourself to royalty free.

Another option is to explore the many composers looking to score films for free in the classifieds section here at Indietalk.

. Royalties for music in film and TV are paid by the broadcaster not the film maker. Those royalties are collected by Performance Rights Organizations not the film maker. All the film maker has to do is fill out a cue sheet which if you are to be broadcast is something you would need to fill out whether the music is royalty free or not.

This is true for performance royalties but you will still have to pay sync fees to the music copyright owner and the master recording owner to use a commercially released track in a film.

On the royalty free side, I run this royalty free music library - http://www.music2license.com

This track might be suitable http://www.music2license.com/tracks/suburban_bourbon

Also, I recently composed a "Hustle" theme tune soundalike which is not on the site. I could email you an MP3
if you are interested in hearing it - ian@music2license.com.

Back