Digital Projection...

Well I got kinda lucky today... Here in town we have a museum that shows lots of different kinds of films on Saturdays... Today, my short film was shown after the film... It was on DVD and projected to a room of about 100 people. I was kind of worried how it would look since I shot it without an anamorphic adapter (DVX100A) and used 16X9 squeeze mode instead...

All the films shown there are on DVD with digital projection...

So there it was... Up on a fairly large screen... Not as large as a regular movie theater... Maybe a little over half that large...

Anyway, the film held up well and everyone thought it originated on film (I never told anyone it was shot on video and nobody asked). It seemed to have a little more detail than the film on DVD that was shown today...

So I'm happy... With the anamorphic adapter, it should be even nicer... Of course, this was strictly digital projection and not transferred to film but now I feel a little safer should I ever go that route...

filmy

I piggybacked...

indietalk said:
:clap: Cool .. 100 in attendace is not shabby!

LOL. Well, to be honest, I simply piggybacked off the film they were actually showing, so I actually had a captive audience, you could say... Nobody knew the film was even going to be shown... The guy that runs the program is a local film reviewer and is always trying to help out local filmmakers any time he can... Plus, that was the price I had to pay to see it projected... LOL.

However, the feedback was good... Unfortunately, there is some cussing in it and there were a few senior citizens that didn't like that part of it but overall, they still liked the film...

The real reason for the post here was to let anyone with a DVX100A know that the digital projection held up well against a projected mainstream film on DVD...

filmy

FilmJumper said:
However, the feedback was good... Unfortunately, there is some cussing in it and there were a few senior citizens that didn't like that part of it but overall, they still liked the film...
The director of the Long Island Film Festival has, shall we say, provocative tastes. There were some family friends in the audience to see my film, and there was one film in particular, an x-rated cartoon, that I'm sure they were not prepared for. :)

FilmJumper said:
The real reason for the post here was to let anyone with a DVX100A know that the digital projection held up well against a projected mainstream film on DVD...

filmy
Cool!

A little over a year ago, forum member JReel had his film Dawn projected digitally at the Angelika in Dallas (part of the Texas Filmmaker's series), and it looked pretty good. It was shot with a Canon GL2 on 60i, and deinterlaced in post. When I saw how good it looked, I really started believing that in the near future, DV films will be able to reach a larger audience because of the shift to digital projection.

Poke

Back