• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Western Village!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess your goal is not just to be understood. For English speakers your English have to be perfect. Imagine a movie in your language with mistakes in language here and there! You now understand what I'm saying, but a native English speaker can find lots of annoying mistakes in my post.
Let alone that to be made in Hollywood, perfect English is a sine qua non.

Write in your language and earn some money to translate it. Then give money for analysis, then study the book "save the cat", then re-write it in your language and give again money to translate it. Give again money for analysis. Do that process until it is "ready" and finally after your last translation, give some more money for a proofreading.

Yes life is difficult in our days if you are not a native English speaker :rofl:

I want to move to USA. Some not close relatives of me live in California, our Jewish relatives. Not all my family knew that we were Jewish (my mom's dad & her grandma family). I want to be a refuge, because can't live as a Jew in Iran. I am also a software developer, but without degree. I want to start improving my English and hope can make to USA when the process is done and I can leave Iran. It needs $, too, I hope I can solve it. Do you think I am well in writing that should not abandon it, because I AM REALLY TALENTED in Writing? Or you think there is no talent?

Thanks for answers in advance!

You need to write in your native language and/or find a writing partner for at least your dialogue if you want to write in English. Your characters have broken English, which I am sure is not your intention. Writing dialogue is an art form. Even those proficient in their own language may write crappy dialogue.

Moving to US is always a good idea. But why don't you try Iranian cinema? Iran has great cinema! Also, I think talent is an illusion. Just write and study every day. If you feel like abandon it for any reason maybe is not your main dream and that's not wrong. You must like the process.

Do you think I am well in writing that should not abandon it, because I AM REALLY TALENTED in Writing? Or you think there is no talent?

Thanks for answers in advance!

In my opinion Talent is a combination of Dept of vision, creativity and hardt work. I don't know how talented you are. You're English is lacking. If you want to become better you should practice it more. It's been more than a year since I have read a message from you and in that time it did not improve much. If you want to become good in English you have to take it more seriously. At this moment Pedramyz is much closer of solving the same obstacles. I believe that he will succeed....

Last edited:
I want to start improving my English and hope can make to USA when the process is done and I can leave Iran. It needs $, too, I hope I can solve it. Do you think I am well in writing that should not abandon it, because I AM REALLY TALENTED in Writing? Or you think there is no talent?

November 2015 (three years ago) you first posted here under the user
name “nobody”. You told us that not only did Steven Spielberg read
your writings but told you you are “very smart even compared to Hollywood
writers”. You are the ONLY writer here on indietalk to have your writing
read by Steven Spielberg and even got some personal feedback from him.

Now in November 2018 you what to start improving your english.
Something I told you to do three years ago. Imagine if you had spent the
last three years improving your english...

Clearly you are really talented in writing; Steven Spielberg said so.

I think I am talented in wriitng, because I love my vision more. I think others don't understand my English well OR the others understand but don't like my story, I am not going to be Next Steven Spielberg for sure..
Steven Spielberg is Not close to me, if the one who told me it told the truth about it, then he did read and liked it. I didn't get it from a %100 certain source, though, and can't describe more..

Thanks!

That about Steven Spielberg suprised me! He is my hero and my main "teacher"! He is a real magician when it comes to create emotions! Could you PLEASE share the way that someone can have his screenplay read by Spielberg?

Am I wrong by saying people who deny I am talented in writing don't know whole of story? Others did not say anything about it,,

I will show you by detailed example in a new thread soon...

Last edited:
We don't know if you are talented... .. Tallent doesn't matter as long as you're English is not 100%. Lets explain it with ME as a example. It doesn't matter if I am talented manga artist.... changes of ME becoming a famous Mangaka in Japan are very slim if I don't speak or write Japanese... Talent is completely irrelevant if you don't speak the language....

hmm, so, it doesn't matter I do film or not when it will be in English. I have problem convey my perceptions & meanings well enough. I had such problem w/ a writing partner...

We all approach these things differently.

I never describe myself as a "talented" writer. I DO say that I think I'm a good screenwriter, but that's because I've been working hard at it for more than 20 years. There are certainly plenty of people that won't like my writing - whether it's because of stylistic choices or subject matter - but they're entitled to their own opinion.

Am I wrong by saying people who deny I am talented in writing don't know whole of story? Others did not say anything about it,,

I will show you by detailed example in a new thread soon...

As far as I know, nobody here said you aren't talented. As a fellow Iranian to another ( I avoid speaking in persian cause we're in an english forum), I suggest you stop wondering about whether you're talented or not and start figuring out your priorities first. I read some of your posts when you were posting under the username of nobody. The questions you ask belong to somebody who hasn't figured out what they wanna do with their lives yet. It's like you are keeping all your options open and waiting for people to tell you in which of those options you are most talented so you can finally pick.

Let me tell you a harsh fact. Talent is sure important, but passion and fortitude is what that keep you going. Having mere talent is not enough to succeed in this industry. You need to have perseverance and consistency ( things that I sometimes have a problem with too). In order to succeed in the movie business or writing business you need to have a strong passion for CREATING. You are constantly asking if I'm talented. Lets say you are extremely talented. Then what? What are you willing to do with that talent inorder to make it in the movie industry? You can't make it if you don't have the fortitude and the willingness to keep going after each failure. So even if you have the talent you need to add the hardwork to your formula. That's why I'm suggesting you start figuring out your priorities in life. Do you ABSOLUTELY, with all your HEART love the art of creating. Do you want to do it as long as you're alive? If the answer is yes, then movie industry is for you. But if you want to pursue this career because you think you have the talent for it but you are not passionate enough about it, then I suggest that you put a more thorough thought to what you want to do in life.

PS. My english is not perfect. But I was an english teacher in a private institute for 2 years. Everybody there told me that I was really talented in teaching english to people whose mother's tongue isn't english. But because I wasn't passionate enough about teaching, I didn't succeed in it. Almost every other English teacher in Iran is more successful than me ( Business wise ) because they are more passionate about teaching than I am.

During these 3 years, you've been asking the same question over and over again.refusing to change anything. and I know where this mindset is coming from given the fact that I am an Iranian too. As you already know Iranians are famous for being lazy and being great procrastinators. There is a saying in persian which is " We Iranians expect thick wager for thin work". That's exactly your approach to the cinema industry. You haven't finished even one script in the standard hollywood format( and 120 pages), you haven't improved your english in this 3 years, you keep skipping from one script to another after writing the first 15 pages or so because you are not getting that dreamy applause you are expecting. Most Iranians spend all their lives waiting for that golden opportunity to happen and they justify their laziness and procrastination by saying that opportunity hasn't presented itself yet. Opportunity presents itself to those who seek it, you have to work for the opportunity, you need to earn it.

So bottom line is: figure out your priorities in life, find out what you are truly passionate about, if it's the art of creating movies and writing, then start improving your English ASAP. Then put all your man power into finishing one project in the standard hollywood format ( and 120 pages or so long) . After that start showing your script to professionals. Gather some notes and feedbacks. and based on that feedback, try to fix the errors professionals had pointed out.

Before I joined this forum, I thought my script was a masterpiece. both idea and execution wise. But after some professionals have read my script, they told me it's flaws that I wasn't at all aware of. I know you may think your ideas are masterpieces, and maybe they are. But I promise you without a proper formatting and editing and executing, that masterpiece is gonna loose it's potential. Because you simply couldn't portray what you had in your mind exactly. ( I have a thread about this matter in which I've questioned and challenged the worth of grammar and simply a perfect grasp of english if one is about succeeding in the hollywood industry, which eventually leads to me realizing that grammar and execution is as important as the idea. You can search it up and read it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back