M & E Levels

Hi,

Regarding delivering m&e track to distributor, I've been told the normal delivery is to keep m and e as it was in full project timeline and add to it all of your foley.

As a doublecheck on this does anyone here limit their final m and e track? If so, at what level do you limit it?

Thanks, joe

I'm not sure what you mean by "adding to it all of your Foley"? The M&E mix should contain everything which is in your full mix (including the Foley), except for your dialogue stem. In other words, if you mix your dialogue stem into your M&E mix, what you will have is a mix which is IDENTICAL to your final mix. For this reason, you should not limit or process your M&E mix in anyway, except the processing which is already part of your stems.

What sort of content is it? Exactly what is contained in the M&E mix depends on the type of content. Documentaries are usually different from features for example.

G

I try to keep all tracks at -3db for deliverables.

1. If your full mix peaks at say -3dB, then with the dialogue stem removed the M&E mix can only have the same or a lower maximum peak as the full mix.

2. Depending on what you're delivering and to whom, a full mix (or M&E) which peaks at -3dB will usually but NOT ALWAYS be acceptable. For (theatrical) film distributors, as long as you don't hit 0dB you should be fine but TV broadcast no longer measures peaks in dB and therefore you run the risk of failing QC with a -3dB peak limit.

G

Back