• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

twinkle twinkle

The melody is shared by a few songs... the alphabet song (a b c d...). Not sure about the copyright.

Zen is right. It is a poem (that I believe is in the public domain) that was set to music later. Looks like you have a little research to do.

God bless google:

"A Frenchman name Bouin came up with the original tune, which appeared in 1761. The poem "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" was published in 1806, in a book called "Rhymes for the Nursery". It was called "The Star" and written by Jane Taylor, a British children's poet, with her sister, Ann. The music and the poem were finally printed together in 1881 in "The Franklin Square Song collection".

The Neue Mozart Ausgabe calls the theme Mozart used anonymous, first appearing in Paris in 1761, and becoming one of the most liked after 1770 there. William Glock in the "Compleat Mozart" stated the theme was a popular French air entitled "Les amours de Silvandre" (Silvandre's loves)."

So public domain it is.

thanks guys, this has really been helpful. i tried searching goggle for this too, but didn't have any luck. maybe i was looking wrong. just for my reference do you still have the web link?

Back