"Running scene"

Hi!
So I have this project that I'm working on and its about fitness nutrition. I have a question concerning a running scene. The whole short is about running basicly and I'm really confused how to record the sound? Does the Boomer need to run after the hero? Cause I'm worried about sound interference... How do you record a running scene and which mic is required? I know that a shotgun mic is used for outside (external) situations, but, is it meant for running scenes? :)

Where is he running? Is there a camera car? You could do lav and a boom from the camera car so you had two tracks.

You could always do voice over narration... ADR would definitely be detectable in this situation.

Do you even need to record the audio?

Run Lola Run spends a lot of time following a runner, with just a techno-track providing the audio. It did pretty well.

its about fitness nutrition

However, it also sounds like your film might be educational as well. Is it an infomercial-style video?

If so, you could have your runner on a treadmill. That way they get to run their lungs out, and the audio won't be chasing someone down a street. Heck, you could even frame it so that noone can see the treadmill. (or move it outside, for some sky in the background)

Much harder if you need wide/long shots, though.

At any rate, that's a few ideas in case you can't get the sound figured out. :cool:

For a doc or infomercial you are going to need to record quality sound on set. As was mentioned a camera car plus the boom op and the runner with a wireless lav.

For a narrative project you'll need still need to capture the any dialog on the set which can be replaced with ADR in audio post (you'll need the production sound to make syncing easier) and the footsteps can be done with Foley.

"Forrest Gump" was a combination of all three - a lav was hidden in his beard or hat, one "interview" was recorded with a real interview mic, some captured via a boom and some was looped in audio post where Tom Hanks actually ran in place while doing the ADR.

OK, gosh, where to start...
Erm, yes, the short will be recorded without audio, but instead a track will be played to increase the "feeling" of the video. And what a coincidence, the track is also kinda techno/dance style to go with the flow. Indietalk, I cant afford a camera car but however I was thinking about shooting from my own car instead. Yeah, the thing is, there is no dialog,except in the beginning and the end when the hero doesn't run. Indie, ADR isn't a bad choice, but I want to make the video as natural as it can get ( so people won't know that its narrated )and besides, the track is gonna be playing most of the time, Zensteve, its more of a commercial video(with a story in it...it won't be too long though, about 2 minutes perhaps-less). The treadmill idea outside (sky as the background) is fantastic! Sorry if I mislead anyone into thinking that I was gonna record the audio while running, that's something I asked out of curiosity :) . Well that's pretty much it, and for the dialog I was thinking about recording it with a shotgun mic and maybe add in a little bit of narration at the ending or maybe even a couple of words in the middle. What do you think? :)

Last edited:
for the dialog I was thinking about recording it with a shotgun mic and maybe add in a little bit of narration at the ending or maybe even a couple of words in the middle. What do you think?

Well, a shotgun's pretty handy, sure. :)

Couldn't really say about your idea for the dialogue and narration. You could make it work; it might also suck. That's where your amazing powers of writing come into play, I guess. :P

Good luck with it. :cool:

You could still ADR the breathing. Properly placed in the mix it can really propel the scene and get the "effort" of running across. Have him run a sprint or two right before recording or even jog in place to make it authentic. I've actually done it and it works quite well.

Back