Tips for aspiring director?

As I said in an earlier post; we all find out own path. Sure, when
I was just starting (at age 14) I did everything. But my first
“serious” film (at age 16) I decided to work with others. Older
than me, more experienced. And I learned a lot.

I still do not fully understand audio but I can communicate with
the audio team because I listen to them. Never took a class, never
even tried to work in that department seriously. But I listen to them.

Everything I learned about cinematography I learned from working
with (and listening to) DP’s, AC’s, gaffers and operators.

Anyway, take those classes. I agree with Alcove; you want to direct
learn directing and editing.

Alright, thanks for the input. The reason I asked is because I can't afford all of the courses so I really wanted to know which were the most crucial. Thanks. :)

Alright, thanks for the input. The reason I asked is because I can't afford all of the courses so I really wanted to know which were the most crucial. Thanks. :)

don't forget about acting!!!!!
a director needs some kind of understand about acting if you want to avoid stilted performances

don't forget about acting!!!!!
a director needs some kind of understand about acting if you want to avoid stilted performances

Well see, I can't act and I've always disliked the idea of acting myself. (Even if I find other people acting very fascinating and interesting) I'd welcome the idea of trying different methods in order to understand acting but doing it in a course is something I don't think I can handle that well. I get nervous and I have no confidence at all, it's just something I wouldn't do.

Well see, I can't act and I've always disliked the idea of acting myself. (Even if I find other people acting very fascinating and interesting) I'd welcome the idea of trying different methods in order to understand acting but doing it in a course is something I don't think I can handle that well. I get nervous and I have no confidence at all, it's just something I wouldn't do.

I'm not a great actor either, I get too anxious and I can't forget about the fact that there is a camera right there in my face.

Even if you're not great at it though you need to understand acting as a process and how to direct actors effectively.

If you aren't interested in "acting for directors" classes, at the very least take some public speaking classes. Those will be handy for almost every life situation in general.

Good luck. :)

You may want to look at taking buisness and management classes. The skills are useful in many professions and most of directing is managing people and other resources.

You don't need to take acting classes, but a seminar or three can be a help. i took several one day acting seminars and they made me a better dialog editor, and definitely made my life easier when doing ADR sessions.

You don't need to take acting classes, but a seminar or three can be a help. i took several one day acting seminars and they made me a better dialog editor, and definitely made my life easier when doing ADR sessions.

Yes agreed you don't need to act to direct, you just need to understand acting as a process. There is a book Directing Actors by judith weston that I really enjoyed. (The first half anyway ;) )

Back