• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best way to get good green screen effect?

Other than lighting?

I can get a clean key using After Effects or even Premiere. However, it still looks "cut out" not like it's in the scene. The lighting matches well but I see this clear distinction between my subject and the plate/background

Feels like I have to round the edges but it seems Premiere or after effects doesn't do that too well

Those clips look really fun & pretty good mostly.
You're unhappy with the edges on those?

Thanks, buscando. No, I'm happy with the examples posted above. Just saying that I have had shots that had fringe issues. I'll probably not post them. :lol:

It's all a learning experience. My most recent debacle was running out of daylight and shooting while the sun was setting. The green screen got really bright and was reflecting on the actresses' arm and hair.
If you can get proper lighting and seperation from the background, up front, it beats trying to fix it in post.

Hopefully, this is helpful the O.P. I forgot to add, in addiion to lighting (also recommend countering with a magenta backlight, which I haven't done yet) and a non-reflective green screen cloth, a 4:2:2 color camera will also help. These images were all achieved with my old Panasonic HVX 200. Furthermore, if you can shoot a higher rez, like 2k or 4k, the downconversion to 2K or 1080 should look really good. If you are trying to key out things like plants and trees, use blue screen, instead.

Convincable examples!

This is the type of example where if no one says anything about it being greenscreen, no one notices anything. But once you state it, you start looking around and "think" you see things off, that very well may be in you head. Looks good man!

Ah, I got confused, Scoopicman. I thought you were the OP :)
On the roach, I was just wondering, what if you attached some invisible wires to the guy's shirt & tugged at it to give the cloth some moving wrinkles to go with the roach moving. Just a thought, what you have certainly works.

Ah, I got confused, Scoopicman. I thought you were the OP :)

No, I'm just posting examples and some troubleshooting ideas. Until LAactionfilmmaker posts more details, I don't know what is not working for him/her.

On the roach, I was just wondering, what if you attached some invisible wires to the guy's shirt & tugged at it to give the cloth some moving wrinkles to go with the roach moving.

That's a great idea! Will note it for next time.

Convincable examples!

This is the type of example where if no one says anything about it being greenscreen, no one notices anything. But once you state it, you start looking around and "think" you see things off, that very well may be in you head. Looks good man!

Thanks! Yes, I completely agree with what you said.

green screen

Try hitfilm it is a free program that does just about everything after effects does and has a preset for green screen and edge feathering. Tutorials are all over youtube, the best are from shiney films.

Back