• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about starting out as a colorist

Hey everybody!

So I'm finishing up with my bachelors degree in film this may.

I'm moving to NYC, and I'm hoping to find something as a colorist. I know a lot of filmmaking in general means starting out at the bottom as an intern and then working your way up as people see your work. I wanted to know if it's the same deal with color grading too. Because I can't really find any internships for it, and the best I've been doing is shooting out emails to color grading facilities asking them if they have an internship program.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there another way to be cracking into the business there?

Cheers

Hey, I also graduate from film school in May... And I'm a colorist... An intern in our field is sometimes called a Junior Colorist, you're the apprentice to someone who has been doing it for years.

So it's not really about finding a specific coloring house, but finding an experienced colorist willing to take you under his wing (and either pay you if he's a freelancer or have his house hire you as his Junior).

It's not an easy job to get. PA is most likely easier. A lot of these guys have been doing it for decades and are old fashion, you'll need to be super impressive to them.

However, I recommend looking for corporate work. If you do good enough, they'll contact you first every time. There is a pharmaceutical agency that contacts me before any other colorist and gives me first chance at their ads.

Do you already have a reel? Might need to do a bunch of student films or low budget indies, if not. I'd imagine it would be a lot easier to get a job as a colorist if you can show your work.

Thanks you guys! I'm putting a reel together right now. I've been doing film for quite a bit now and I'm coloring a feature that's coming out in a couple of months, so I'll definitely have plenty to look out for.

@Skycopeland: Thanks so much. A junior colorist position sounds to die for. Would you advise something particular as I look for those?

There are many ways to get your start. Here's mine:

Back in the day, I took an entry-level job at a post house to simply get in the door. I wasn't a PA, but it basically the same level of work. I can't tell you how much coffee I made, tapes I logged, and files I copied/pasted. I spent the better part of a year doing what I was told and quietly learning all about the job I really wanted. I was careful not to stump for a promotion, because I could see that it would be shot down (everybody was protecting their positions). But, after a year of diligent study, I was familiar with the best practices and politics surrounding the job I wanted. I studied, practiced ... and waited. Then, it happened: a key artist called in sick and he had a pile of work due that same day. After some hand-wringing, I stepped up and offered to do it, and finally got my shot to prove myself.

My advice (for what it's worth): Be patient and study. Prove yourself when the opportunity arises. I realize this may be frustrating, it certainly was for me. I had won awards in school and an animation-fest, and next I was the "coffee guy". But, if you press your boos too hard for a promotion you may risk looking like an ungrateful climber. It's all about preparation and timing.

There are many ways into the industry. Yours will likely be quite different than mine. But, hang in there and don't quit. The price of entry involves focused diligence.

Thomas

Thanks you guys! I'm putting a reel together right now. I've been doing film for quite a bit now and I'm coloring a feature that's coming out in a couple of months, so I'll definitely have plenty to look out for.

@Skycopeland: Thanks so much. A junior colorist position sounds to die for. Would you advise something particular as I look for those?

Hmm... I don't really have any advise I can give on that. I had a mentor who I worked for as junior colorist, but he was also an instructor who noticed in my first editing class that I did coloring (apparently pretty uncommon at my school).

That's the kind of question I'd ask on the site I linked you too. I'm sure not only junior colorists will tell you how they got the job, but some senior colorists will tell you what they look for in.

I don't think any of the active members of this site are senior colorists at a post house... But perhaps I'm wrong?

Back