• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

When you're writing a script

Do you keep actors in mind and write for them or you think of/imagine yourself as a character and write what you would do or wanted to do in a given scene or situation?

If that helps you keep your dialogue and action consistent for your characters, AND ... know when they're doing something off-character - sure., do it. Whatever works.

As for me; sometimes I think of characters I've loved from movies, sometimes it's actual people I've known, and sometimes it's someone I've conjured up (the later tend to be my favorite characters.)

I have read somewhere we humans are incapable of imagining a new face, whatever the faces we can see in our minds are of the ppl we met/seen in past. So how do you create characters without having anyone in mind at all? Is it a different story when we write? Write down a description of how you want the characters to be, as in -
He's thin and scary with one eye and a broken hand
lol not my best character creation but that gives an idea of what I'm trying to get out of my head? I'm sorry for asking dumb questions, I'm new to screenwriting, I have wrote about only 3 pages so far and I already started complicating things.

Do you keep actors in mind and write for them or you think of/imagine yourself as a character and write what you would do or wanted to do in a given scene or situation?
It should be driven by the story, however, sometimes we have certain actors who embody the character. In one script, I had a character who was very much like Billy Crystal. That helped with the dialogue. Other times, since I'm also an actor, I project myself into some of the characters that I write. How would I portray them. And lastly, I will sometimes create a character sheet for a character that outlines their strengths, weaknesses, appearance, hopes/goals, obstacles, relationships, backstory, etc. Those elements that help me create in my mind a "realistic" character.

With TV, you need to create a 'series bible' which has detail character descriptions. This allows other writers to write episodes. I will sometimes paste in pictures of actors/characters that help me visualize the character when writing. I want to be clear--I'm not saying that you write FOR as SPECIFIC actor. But when I wrote a piece with Sherlock Holmes, for me, it was hard not to imagine Basil Rathbone. They are references--art models, if you will. Some companies do hire a writer to write a story around a specific actor. But with respect to your question, the characters need to come alive for you as the writer before you can bring them to life in your script.

I believe a writer should use any method that works for them.
If keeping a specific actor in mind as they write a character
works, I see no reason they shouldn't do it. I see no harm in
thinking of/imagining yourself as a character.

To answer your question, Noob; sometimes I have an actor
in mind as I write. But I never think of/imagine myself as a
character. Do you? Is it helping you write better characters?

So, I will take your answers as 'do what works best for you?
Ok let me explain why I had this query. I have a imaginary world to my side, what started as a habit in my childhood has turned out to be a part of my life, I have a strong imagination, I imagine doing heroic things, bad things, living as the last human on the earth (I had this before 'The legend' was out) flying, little to big fantasies, what we wish to do but won't/can't do in real world I give it life in my head. I also get inspired a lot from strong influences and I pretend like the characters that struck me, I have done stupid crazy things from catching a spider and forcing it to bite me on the hand hoping to wake up next morning as Spiderman. Or telling myself to jump off the balcony holding an umbrella, inspired from watching cartoons, even though I don't do such silly things anymore I still got my creative side intact. That's my reason to want to become a filmmaker and write my scripts. This might sound idiotic, but if you think about it, the superhero stories, epic movies, greatest theories were all created by people with crazy imaginations.
I'm very new to writing, I'm yet to find the technique that will work the best for me. I want to be able to write what I see in mind, without missing bits and pieces, that's what I want to achieve.

I start every screenplay from a story draft. I write out the whole movie as a story then I develop the script from that. Many writers I've admired do the same. Since you are a new writer, my suggestion is to start by writing down your stories as stories. Screenplays have very strict guidelines which force you to cut out bits and pieces. I don't want to discourage you from coming back and making your stories into screenplays, but want to advise you that much of what you see on a movie screen was added by the directors and studio not the writer.

Writing your ideas down as they play in your mind as short stories or even novels can be an excellent way of exploring and developing your stories and characters. Many movies and series started as books first.

As imaginative as you are, it seems as if you already place yourself in the role of your characters. Only, hopefully now, more safely. :) Write down your fantasies. Perhaps introduce your characters to one another. Diagram your fantasy world. Sketch your characters.

Writing structured poetry is both simple and difficult since you must follow the length, rhyme and rhythm. Writing a story is more free form and you can be as detailed as you like. A screenplay is equally structured. So it is often easier to take a free form story and convert it into a screenplay rather than try to write the story directly as a screenplay when you first begin.

A lot of the superhero stories and epic movies started as comic books and novels. Screenplays ARE NOT about WILDLY CREATIVE. They are about translating WILDLY CREATIVE STORIES to the screen. And that often entails cutting out lots of detail. Consider that the Harry Potter books run up to 600 pages but are cut down to 110 or so for the screenplay.

What I often see are new writers who put their hearts and creative ideas into a script. They create a 300 page masterpieces but are then told to cut it down to 90-100 pages. They are often disappointed. Novels and short stories can be as long as you wish with as much detail as you wish to fully visualize your world. Screenplays are very barebones where filling in the details are left to other creative professionals (art designers, directors, cinematographers, etc.). While screenplays are fun and a creative outlet, it takes a lot of discipline to write ones that actually are made into movies. Getting your stories published is far easier these days given the internet.

As a new writer, you will want to read as much as possible--scripts, books on screenwriting and books on writing in general. Good luck!

You should always write a treatment and synopsis before even attempting to write a script. You can put attributes of yourself in your characters since its better to write from experience, but I don't think it works that great writing for actors. Charlie Kaufman's Being John Malkovich was going to be Being Steve Buscemi if Malkovich didn't accept the part.

My teacher gave me some great advice: "You don't write a final script without having a synopsis or treatment, that'd be like Michelangelo hitting the marble and saying 'David's gotta be fucking in here somewhere!'"

Best of luck!

Thank you all for the valuable advice. I take your inputs seriously and improve my writing. So, as I was writing few more pages I came to realise that I don't have to imagine myself in the role to write all characters, I only do it for the characters that I'm involved in and can relate to.

Last edited:
Back