Esitial Kit for DSLR (T2i)

OK, im pretty much done, finished, I cant fight this feeling any longer. Take me t2i, take me now!

After I buy the camera, Im dumping ALL my other gear. My tripod, 35mm adapter, camera, lenses, shoulder rig, external monitor,Beachtek preamp, follow focus, all of it. To buy one or two QUALITY items.

(I have my external audio kit and will keep that)

The tripod is HUGE and I want something lighter and more portable. I want to simplify.

So aside from camera and lenses, what is essential?
Extra batteries
Extra mem Cards
LCD View finder
Tripod
???

Just got my memory card and messed around with my T2i, got alot to learn, but enjoying this. Now if I only had time to use it LOL. school, work and puppy are killin my spare time, this thread is very helpful. I need to buy extra batteries, and another card. Really need a tripod or some sort of rig.

I still am.

I find it unfathomable that Canon would expect filmmakers to use these 7D to actually make a feature length film. I still think it was, for lack of a better phrase, "an accident" that those cameras translated into what they are now. But then again, why or how it happened is irrelevant.

What I would expect from Canon, and all the other videocam makers, would be an actual video camera that could achieve the quality of picture that these camera are giving. It only makes sense that they would be. And it also would have to be monetarily competitive. I mean, who would purchase a new $4,000 camera, if $2500 can give you the results I've seen. Camera = $1000 = lense = $1500. That's the set up an acquaintance of mine has. The footage is gorgeous.

-- spinner :cool:

It was definitely an accident. DSLR still is a photography camera, at it's core. And they are responding to the craze, adapting this technology to be used with cameras that are designed for video. A couple more years, I figure, and nobody will be shooting video on DSLR any more (except for photographers).

As far as the practicality is concerned, you can't beat it. That's it's strength, really. They're cheap. Yeah, you can spend thousands of dollars on lenses and accessories, but you don't have to. Even a T2i, with the kit lens, can be used to get beautiful footage.

P.S. Don't get the 7D, unless you're a photographer. For a filmmaker, the T2i is basically the same camera. Also, if you make the plunge, you might not even want to go Canon. wheat went Panasonic, and I'm really curious to hear how he likes it.

I believe the GH2 is full frame.

Except for the crop factor and inability to get wide in tight places, there doesn't appear to much difference, if at all, in image quality to my eye.

I know cost has to be a big issue, but with DSLRs being all the rage with folks here, is anyone concerned with or interested in shooting with a full frame DSLR?

Of course. Everyone who owns a T2i envies those who own the 5D. Fact. The decision to accept the crop-factor is merely economical.

I believe the GH2 is full frame.

Except for the crop factor and inability to get wide in tight places, there doesn't appear to much difference, if at all, in image quality to my eye.

I think you've misunderstood the meaning of full-frame. "Crop factor" and "full frame" are diametrically opposed. The GH2 is cropped even more than the T2i (which is why it's difficult to shoot in tight places).

I think you've misunderstood the meaning of full-frame. "Crop factor" and "full frame" are diametrically opposed. The GH2 is cropped even more than the T2i (which is why it's difficult to shoot in tight places).

Yup. The GH2 has a 4/3" sensor, meaning the FOV of a given lens is the equivalent of a lens twice as long on a FF DSLR like a 5D. A standard lens on a GH2 is a 25mm.

The GH2 aside, the statement was correct. Sorry, I should have looked up exactly what micro four thirds entailed. I was (or thought I was) comparing full frame to APS-C.

My bad.

yeah the micro 4/3rd thing is what it is. Sure its a smaller sensor (about the same size as 35mm MOVIE film, not full stills 35mm film though) so my first purchases will be a nice 14mm or 20mm lens.

...and I'm one of the "I-ain't-gettin'-no-photography-camera" hold outs. You can't argue with results. Now, I have to figure out how practical it would be....
Me too.

Well, not exactly in the "I-ain't-gettin'-no-photography-camera" camp,
but for semi-pro production a DSLR just doesn't hold up. To get a DSLR up to
production specs it gets costly. But straight out of the box these cameras give
a very nice image with the much wanted shallow DOF.

However, the major camera makers are seeing the numbers. They all have
excellent movie cameras with proper lens mounts coming out. And at consumer
prices.

I admit to being a little "bitter". As most of you know I have been saying it's
not the camera, it's the talent of the people, for years. Now it IS the
camera - or more technically the glass. Point and shoot. That's what most
people want - no need to light - and it looks great.

I gotta get with the program.

CF is right, at the time of the original posting, I was set on a T2i over the GH2. (note the title) Not really for technical reasons, but mostly based on how much "street cred" it has and how many people use it. I simply see it EVERYWHERE, virtual and real. On that video shoot with the 20 cameras there were three t2i cameras, which is a pretty high turn out. This is not to say my love for it was fashion based, rather, I know the value of a large user base of any equipment, the more people who have something like I do, the more support, accessories, etc..

As I stated earlier I would have been happy with a T2i or GH2. They have differences, but they both have features that will let me grow. Full manual control etc. Heck, I'm excited to be able to control Aperture AND shutter speed at the same time!

A few final considerations led me to the chose the GH2.

• Cost: My employer worked a deal with Panasonic so I got employee pricing.
  • Monitoring: Im Near sighted, the GH2 does HDMI out during record, more importantly Electronic View Finder works during movie mode.
  • Lens Support: I can use my canon FD glass. These lenses aren't expensive, but they are good enough and I know how to use them.

no need to light - and it looks great.

Aww, that can't be true, can it?

saw this funny..its GH1 days, but still funny..
That is very cute. So the moral of the story is that the GH1 is best?
It is really neat that you can use your FD lenses with it, damn!

Of course. Everyone who owns a T2i envies those who own the 5D. Fact.
Ah hah! I knew it...sensor envy.

Sorry if this is out of line, but...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZGtFZoSyhA

...only $4,600...without the lense.

Last edited:
A few final considerations led me to the chose the GH2.

• Cost: My employer worked a deal with Panasonic so I got employee pricing.
  • Monitoring: Im Near sighted, the GH2 does HDMI out during record, more importantly Electronic View Finder works during movie mode.
  • Lens Support: I can use my canon FD glass. These lenses aren't expensive, but they are good enough and I know how to use them.

In all honesty, I probably would have made the same choice in your position. If I hadn't enjoyed stills photography so much and not had access to lots of Canon glass at home, I might have waited for the GH2…

Thought this might interest you, by the way - forum rules mean I can't link to it, but I came across someone using an old 2/3" broadcast lens on his GH2 with great success (good range of focal lengths, and f/1.8 constant aperture). It was a little bit soft in the corners, but fairly affordable and fantastic for fast-paced shoots, live events or run and gun situations.

Just a silly update.. .

So I order a GH2, still waiting for it to ship.. so in the mean time i brought home a T2i. (never mind about the whyfors?)

Back to the essential accessories...
For the T2i I have already procured:

Lenses: A 50mm 1.8, a 28-105mm, an 18-55mm kit lens, and a Nikon 28mm f2.8. Everything but the kit were pawn shop specials... The Nikon to EOS adapter is in the mail..

A Carryspeed LCD viewfinder. ($60 and I had an Amozon.com gift card to use up) I know I talk earlier about getting a Letus Hawk, which I still plan to do, but I want to MAKE sure that conceptually a view finder will meet the needs. Part of why I MAY still go with the GH2 is the HDMI monitoring and the EVF. If the LCD Viewfinder works like I hope it does, then those issues become much less important to me.

A cheap battery grip and extra batteries.

For the GH2, WHEN it arrives, Iv already got the kit lens and an FD to M43 lens adapter.

the rest of the purchases support either camera.
I have a straight shoulder rig that Im converting to an offset model (so I can use the viewfinder without breaking my frigging neck) which Ill need for either camera.
For this I purchases two 12" carbon fiber rods, and a Letus off set bracket.

Back