Microphones for 550D?

I am going to buy a 550D, I have been researching different kinds of external microphones such as the Rode series because most of my work will rely on capturing the audio to a decent quality...

What do other film makers use, that's if you use DSLR cameras ?

Do you mean to tell me that you can't spend $30 and about 45 minutes of your time to DIY a boom-pole? The extra reach will improve the quality of your dialog substantially.

The Inverse Square Law

In simple terms, this means that a sound twice as far away is only one-fourth as loud. A sound four times as far away is only one-sixteenth as loud. So a human voice that records with adequate volume three feet away is just one-sixteenth as effective at twelve feet.

On medium shots you will get the mic in substantially closer to the talent. Isn't that worth $30 and 45 minutes?

I think SquaretheJon is actually ROC, and he's laughing his ass off playing a practical joke on us. :lol:

SquaretheJon, did you notice the price on that shock mount?

I'm gonna be brutally frank. You're not ready for this. Why do I say this? Because you're not taking it seriously. The questions you're asking could be answered by yourself, with very minimal effort. So, here's my advice.

Spend as little money as possible. On everything. If you don't already have a camera, get the least expensive one you can find. I recommend a used miniDV camera ($200). Get the least expensive mic you can find ($30). Get a broomstick and duct tape. Boom! Make some short movies. Practice your skills. If, a year from now, you are deeply in love with this art, then it's time to spend some serious money on a better camera, good sound, etc.

Well this thread has moved away from the question that I asked the other day, but I'll reply again.

Thanks a lot Alcove. I stayed up reading that manual and discussed the issues with my sound recordist. She wasn't sure about it either but because it sounds ok on the computer, I/she reckon it might be a problem with the H4N's output...

Anyhow, god willing we've got enough clean sound. The condenser on the H4N is actually really good.

Nah, I'm not messing with you guys. The reason I was asking such questions was because I wasn't 100% sure of what I needed. (As soon as I have a question, I tend to ask it right away without thinking about it).

Anyways, I've decided to get the Rode NTG-2 kit (w/ shockmount) and make my own $30 boom pole.

Taken in all this advice about microphones, I really appreciate your guy's help! Thanks!

Here's a few more quick tips...

Sweep the floor. Grit on concrete underfoot makes an awful noise when recorded.

Wear soft-soled shoes - especially the talent and any crew that need to move (camera operator, boom-op).

No one wears nylon.

No one wears corduroy.

All cell phones and wifi computers completely 100% off.

Clean the location thoroughly. It's probably a bit (or a lot) musty. The last thing you need is to find out your talent or a crew member has a mold or dust allergy; just imagine all the sneezing, coughing, sniffling and heavy breathing - not to mention the nasal dialog delivery.

See if you are able to turn the ventilation (if any) on and off at your convenience.

Check for noisy fixtures - lights, HVAC, appliances, etc.

I've heard good things about using the combination Zoom H4N and the NTG-2 for audio. However, can I still get a quality sound without the Zoom H4N? And could I just invest in an ntg-2, and be happy with the results? I really want to invest in the ntg-2 to deviate from the low-quality in-cam audio, but that's all I want to invest in.

I've heard good things about using the combination Zoom H4N and the NTG-2 for audio. However, can I still get a quality sound without the Zoom H4N? And could I just invest in an ntg-2, and be happy with the results? I really want to invest in the ntg-2 to deviate from the low-quality in-cam audio, but that's all I want to invest in.

The H4N has higher sampling rates than the camera (mic in). The NTG-2's capabilities would be wasted with just the camera audio, but at least you'll have it for future projects.

The NTG-2/H4n combo actually yields slightly lower audio volume level results than most mic/recorder combinations. The NTG-2 has an unusually low output level, the H4n (because it's aimed at musicians and their high DB levels) requires a hotter signal level to drive it. The same seems to hold true for the Tascam DR-100 as well.

The NTG-2 into your camera will be better than the camera mic, but the sound will still be noisy due to the substandard audio implementation and will be recorded at low bit/sample rates.

Hi,

I bought the $50 Rode Shockmount and it's coming in the mail now. I am also making a DIY boompole from Indymogul's video. I am wondering if I need to buy a thread adapter for the $50 Shockmount since the Indymogul's video uses it for the On-stage shockmount? Pleaset let me know.

Ok so I just read this thread and I found it very helpful but I do believe I am left with two questions.
1. What is a good mic for the 550D under $100?
2. What (if anything) will I need to hear my audio when filming with the 550D?

1. What is a good mic for the 550D under $100?

Does not exist. The Rode VideoMic ($150) or VideoMic Pro ($230) are a place to start.

2. What (if anything) will I need to hear my audio when filming with the 550D?

You can't; the 550D has no audio monitoring capabilities.

When using a DSLR you should consider it as working with film - a separate audio recorder should really be used.

The Tascam DR-100 and Zoom H4n are the current popular low budget recorders. Go back to earlier portions of this thread for more info on my reservations about these units. You can even go with cheaper units like the Tascam DR-1 or Zoom H2 if you are using something like the Rode VMP; just be aware that using high impedance units can make you prone to all kinds of nasty RF interference.

From reading most of this forum I do understand what that means. Thank you and as soon as I end up with my gear and produce a short film with it. There will be a link somewhere on this site.

Back