My things got deleted

hey guys I really have no where else to turn. I've been writting for almost 6 months and yesterday my brother deleted all my scripts on my computer. Everything I had, gone. I'm PISSED! I wanted to know if there was anyway to get it back, anything I can do. Do I have to get somebody who understands computer to extract it or something becuase I don't know what to do. Plz help me.

Have you checked your Recycle Bin? If you're brother didn't empty that then there probably sitting safely there.

You could also do a search at Versiontracker.com or Downloads.com and find recovery software. This doesn't always work but it's worth a shot.

Rewrite it!

Honestly, every time I started a new draft on my latest screenplay, I started over from scratch and it took half the time each draft and each one was better than the last.

In the process of rewriting you'll discover new paths for your characters and realize that the last 6 months was just a zygoat to your fetus.

Even if your data is delted it can be recovered. But either you sjhould be an expert or call an expert..But thats is guarenteed that that the deleted data gets recovered.even if it is deleted from empty recycle.....

What operating system? If Windows XP of Vista, try System Restore provided they're not sitting in the recycle bin as others have pointed out. And rewriting it is certainly an option. That couldn't hurt. But losing the script for me wouldn't be nearly as bad as losing my story notes that include all my thoughts, characterizations, musings, ideas, brainstorming sessions, research, etc. That would suck. Much of that comes off the cuff and I couldn't dredge it up the same way twice if my life depended on it.

I will occasionally print out a hard copy. It's much easier and more gratifying marking things up with red pen when editing and proofreading (for me, at least). And I always have a backup unless the stupid dog gets a hold of it.

Good luck.

You can try taking it into a computer store and have them dig through the hard drive...sometimes there are things that can be recovered that have been deleted.

ps. just beware of what they ALSO might find. ;)

Firstly, don't save anything else! Deleted files are still there until the space is reused. You'll need a recovery program to get them.

Back